Is writing on your tortoise shell safe?

Ymmjr

Location (City and/or State)
Kuwait
Hi I was wondering if writing on the shell of your tortoise with a sharpie safe especially to identify the hatchlings

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Sadly many do it using paint and nail varnish. The chemicals can go into the shell and into the skin. I would try to avoid as it looks unnatural and shell grows so slowly it will be a tattoo. If your really stuck you could make a small colour mark underneath but as I say try and avoid. I suggest having a good look at the shell scute markings there is normally a differentiator there.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Why do people use nail polish on the carapase?
I have four full grown male radiata and three full grown females. I plan to rotate one male in with the females occasionally for breeding. without the identifying nail polish spots I wouldn't know which female is nesting and which would be the next male to rotate in.

As babies, who all look alike, identifying nail polish spots let me know if a certain baby isn't eating, which one needs certain attention, etc.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sadly many do it using paint and nail varnish. The chemicals can go into the shell and into the skin. I would try to avoid as it looks unnatural and shell grows so slowly it will be a tattoo. If your really stuck you could make a small colour mark underneath but as I say try and avoid. I suggest having a good look at the shell scute markings there is normally a differentiator there.
Actually it's not a problem. Eventually it all wears away. Paint, nail polish and crayon are the safest.

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
I use Posca paint pens. I have a few colors laying around from marking queen bees. They are water based and safe enough to use on a delicate insect. It probably doesn't last as long as nail polish though.

tortlvr

Today is my birthday!
San Diego Ca
Hi I was wondering if writing on the shell of your tortoise with a sharpie safe especially to identify the hatchlings
I use a cheap water color set. Made a mistake by using white out on my first hatchlings. The one I kept is 3 years and still has a little mark. It's dosent come off without scraping. The identifying colors let's me know who is eating, pooping or any other special needs. Just be watchful during soaks.

jcase

Platinum Tortoise Club
Pittsboro, NC
The shell can absorb chemicals. If you must paint something use some type of chemical free.
Nothing is chemical free, as far as dangerous chemicals you are introducing more via water, substrate and feed. I'd go with posco paint pens, or glue on a small piece of plastic. I use posco for marking queen bees, and for artificially inseminated queens, I glue a plastic numbers disc on them.