compton016

Location (City and/or State)
Grand Blanc
I've never owned a tortoise before, but I've done a lot of research, watched lots of youtube videos, bought all the necessary supplies, and I think that the terrarium is ready to go, but I want to be sure so nothing bad happens. I bought the Thrive Temperate Essentials Kit from PetSmart and a bunch of other things that people said were needed.

Everything I have setup is listed:
-40 Gallon Glass Terrarium (+Metal Tank Stand)
-100 Watt basking bulb w/ 8.5in dome lamp (+side mounting stand)
-10.0 T8 18" UVB Strip Lamp
-2 Thermometer/Hydrometer Combo Gauges
-Coconut Fiber Substrate
-16 Watt Medium Heating Mat
-Half Log Hide
-Drinking Dish
-Feeding Slate
-Cuttlebone
-Basking Rock
-Day/Night Timer

Additional supplies I have are:
-Calcium Supplements
-Spray Bottle (to use as humidifier)
-Wipe Out! Terrarium & Cage Cleaner
-Shovel Scooper

During the day, the warm side is about 95°F w/ 50% humidity, and the cool side is about 80°F w/ 65% humidity. At night, both sides are about 70-75°F w/ 65% humidity.

I also am not sure where to buy one from. Do I need to get/know anything else? Is my terrarium ready? Where would I get a Russian Tortoise hatchling? Any answers/suggestions are appreciated.

Front View.PNGSide View.PNGTop View.PNGBottom View.PNG

Front View.PNGSide View.PNGTop View.PNGBottom View.PNG

Julian32122

Vallejo
I’ve heard that heating pads are a no-go for tortoises as they can hurt themselves. Also, humidity is very important for hatchlings and babies. It must be kept above 80% at all times so the enclosure is best closed off to retain the humidity (something I’m currently trying to figure out how to do too).

icantdance

Phoenix, AZ
I have a Russian tortoise hatchling and am still new to all this, but I can say for sure don't use the heat pad. Russians burrow and it will make the glass too hot and can burn them. I would also say to get a bag of repti bark and add it on top of the coco fiber. It will help keep it a little more humid and give the hatchling more room to burrow. Mine burrows every night to sleep, like all the way into the substrate.

The drinking dish might be too deep for a hatchling. Terra cotta saucers work. Is the basking rock you got one that heats up? If so you should take that out too. They can cause burns.

**edit to add I got my hatchling from a pet store, the stores owner breeds his own tortoises. So maybe check smaller family owned pet stores. Also people on here sell them, but I'm sure someone else will come along and let you know who because I'm not sure.

Last edited:

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
You need to make some corrections or tweaks.

Give this a read and feel free to ask questions

compton016

Grand Blanc
I have a Russian tortoise hatchling and am still new to all this, but I can say for sure don't use the heat pad. Russians burrow and it will make the glass too hot and can burn them. I would also say to get a bag of repti bark and add it on top of the coco fiber. It will help keep it a little more humid and give the hatchling more room to burrow. Mine burrows every night to sleep, like all the way into the substrate.

The drinking dish might be too deep for a hatchling. Terra cotta saucers work. Is the basking rock you got one that heats up? If so you should take that out too. They can cause burns.

**edit to add I got my hatchling from a pet store, the stores owner breeds his own tortoises. So maybe check smaller family owned pet stores. Also people on here sell them, but I'm sure someone else will come along and let you know who because I'm not sure.
I got rid of the heating pad, got a shallower drinking dish, made the substrate more humid. Thank you!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I got rid of the heating pad, got a shallower drinking dish, made the substrate more humid. Thank you!
YouTube is not a good place to learn tortoise care. Pet stores are even worse.

Despite this, you've done a great job so far.

I would contact @Carol S about getting super well started heathy hatchling.