Is UVB lamp dangerous

Torty23

Location (City and/or State)
Middle East
so i have my tortoise in my room , she has some space on the floor with sand and everything and i was wondering if it would be okay to buy a UVB lamp or it would be harmful for me as I am sitting in the same room

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
so i have my tortoise in my room , she has some space on the floor with sand and everything and i was wondering if it would be okay to buy a UVB lamp or it would be harmful for me as I am sitting in the same room
1. Hello and welcome to the forum.
2. Tortoises should not be on the floor. Its dangerous in many ways.
3. Tortoises should never be housed on sand. It is a skin and eye irritant and it can cause intestinal impaction.
4. A UV lamp over your tortoise is not harmful to you as long as you don't stare into the tube for long periods of time from a very short distance. Don't get the cfl types. Get an Arcadia tube.
5. You tortoise needs much more than just a UV bulb.

If you tell us what species you have, we can give you the correct care sheet.

Torty23

Middle East
1. Hello and welcome to the forum.
2. Tortoises should not be on the floor. Its dangerous in many ways.
3. Tortoises should never be housed on sand. It is a skin and eye irritant and it can cause intestinal impaction.
4. A UV lamp over your tortoise is not harmful to you as long as you don't stare into the tube for long periods of time from a very short distance. Don't get the cfl types. Get an Arcadia tube.
5. You tortoise needs much more than just a UV bulb.

If you tell us what species you have, we can give you the correct care sheet.
Thanks a lot, I am still a noob at this but thanks for the help, my kind is greek
Also another question so i just got her like 3 days ago or so and she has been active but yesterday was some what cold she woke up to eat (didnt eat a lot) then kept sleeping all day and still till now is it possible that she is trying to hybirnate? P.s : there no sign of any illness

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks a lot, I am still a noob at this but thanks for the help, my kind is greek
Also another question so i just got her like 3 days ago or so and she has been active but yesterday was some what cold she woke up to eat (didnt eat a lot) then kept sleeping all day and still till now is it possible that she is trying to hybirnate? P.s : there no sign of any illness
Read through this for the correct care info: