Is to much Humidity bad?

Cherryman304

Location (City and/or State)
I have recently enclosed my habitat and well my humidity is pegged out I have not sprayed anymore water or anything. My question is should i try to bring it down? And if so how? Change substrate? No spraying? Anything will be helpful.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I have recently enclosed my habitat and well my humidity is pegged out I have not sprayed anymore water or anything. My question is should i try to bring it down? And if so how? Change substrate? No spraying? Anything will be helpful.
No, my humidity stays 85-95% and my hatchling is growing great. You shouldn't need to mist or run a fogger anymore.

Cherryman304

Yeah I have th fogger installed In the top lid I just hit it in the morning for like a min real heavy to mimic the dew he would see in the morning. But other then that nothing. 20190321_125930.jpg 20190321_125923.jpg

Cherryman304

I did a soak last night he headed for his hide but came back out to eat then headed to the hide again and burrowed into the dirt so just his shell was showing

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Its normal for hatchlings to stay more hidden right?
Ya they do. Once your Tort settles in and realizes there's no predators around to harm him, and that your the God of food lol, you'll see him out a little more. Still though they stay mostly hidden. I keep my hatchlings enclosure real cluttered with some leaf litter, and live plants/grass so she has more options then just the hide. Here's a picIMG_20190321_161340310.jpg

Pure Tortoise Power

Hong Kong
Ya they do. Once your Tort settles in and realizes there's no predators around to harm him, and that your the God of food lol, you'll see him out a little more. Still though they stay mostly hidden. I keep my hatchlings enclosure real cluttered with some leaf litter, and live plants/grass so she has more options then just the hide. Here's a picView attachment 267858
I have a question. What plants can thrive if they are planted in a sulcata indoor tank, staying from seeds? (assuming all the requirements for a good sulcata hatchling enclosure is achieved)

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I have a question. What plants can thrive if they are planted in a sulcata indoor tank, staying from seeds? (assuming all the requirements for a good sulcata hatchling enclosure is achieved)
I used a Pothos I had grown out, but I know it's safe for Redfoots im not sure about Sulcatas. I also sprinkle Chia seeds, and Terrarium grass seeds. The Chia and grass only lasts about 2 weeks before it dies so I just sprinkle some in weekly.

Pure Tortoise Power

Hong Kong
I used a Pothos I had grown out, but I know it's safe for Redfoots im not sure about Sulcatas. I also sprinkle Chia seeds, and Terrarium grass seeds. The Chia and grass only lasts about 2 weeks before it dies so I just sprinkle some in weekly.
Wouldn't the grass regrow after a while as long as the roots are still intact?

Cherryman304

Ya they do. Once your Tort settles in and realizes there's no predators around to harm him, and that your the God of food lol, you'll see him out a little more. Still though they stay mostly hidden. I keep my hatchlings enclosure real cluttered with some leaf litter, and live plants/grass so she has more options then just the hide. Here's a picView attachment 267858
Yeah I wanted to do something along these lines. I just wasnt sure about substrate. As far as "grow lights" a UVB or LED should work for you. I have a live fish tank with plants and the LED hood is all I've ever used and that tank grows steady not fast.

Pure Tortoise Power

Hong Kong
Yeah I wanted to do something along these lines. I just wasnt sure about substrate. As far as "grow lights" a UVB or LED should work for you. I have a live fish tank with plants and the LED hood is all I've ever used and that tank grows steady not fast.
UVB? I guess can I use the coiled one that was mistakenly bought to grow the plants outside the terrarium

Cherryman304

Yeah I believe so. I mean really all it does is provide light on a spectrum that plants can synthesize it. Like the lights I have in my fish tank are just common LED strips and everything grows. Maybe not at a super fast rate but it grows.

Relic

Here
You can't just grow plants with regular lights. You have to use a special bulb.

Sorry for getting off topic @Cherryman304
I bring nearly a hundred potted plants into my garage each winter, placed on shelving underneath regular 48" fluorescent bulbs and they grow just fine for the 5 months they spend under them. Many of them bloom as well. Just cheap bulbs from Lowe's. Nothing special.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I could be wrong I always thought you needed a certain bulb. I only know about growing a certain kind of plant indoors and I don't think we're allowed to reference them here on the forum lol.