Is this white on top of the shell normal?

TGparadise

Location (City and/or State)
California
Hi this is my first post here! First time owning a tortoise. I have a red foot tortoise about 3 1/2 years old
Wondering if this is normal? Any help/advice would be appreciated a lot

688633D4-BE8C-480B-B24B-CED9CFFEA719.jpeg

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hi this is my first post here! First time owning a tortoise. I have a red foot tortoise about 3 1/2 years old
Not exactly sure what you mean by "white on the top of the shell". If you mean the white lines between the scutes, they are where the new growth is occurring and are completely normal.

TGparadise

California
Not exactly sure what you mean by "white on the top of the shell". If you mean the white lines between the scutes, they are where the new growth is occurring and are completely normal.

Yes I was
Thank you so much

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It just looks like either light colored dirt or hard water stains. I'll bet it goes away with a good scrubbing. (that is, if I'm looking at the same thing as you)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Its hard water stains. Rinse and spray the tortoise with distilled, RO, or collected rainwater to avoid this. Don't use any of those for drinking or soaking. Just for spraying the carapace.

TGparadise

California
Its hard water stains. Rinse and spray the tortoise with distilled, RO, or collected rainwater to avoid this. Don't use any of those for drinking or soaking. Just for spraying the carapace.
I’ll give those a shot! Thank you ??

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
A spray bottle just for misting the redfoot and its encloser is super convenient! I've never experienced pyramiding, and I've always had my torty bottle. Redfoots love a nice shower to boot!