Is this weed okay?

Theo2002

Location (City and/or State)
Hastings
I found these in my garden, was wondering if anyone knows what they are and if they are okay to feed to my leopard?image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:

Canadian Mojo

Ontario
The top two look like Columbine, which is a NO according to the Tortoise table.

The bottom one looks like it might be annual Geranium (botanically, it's actually Pelargonium) which is a 'feed in moderation' plant.

BOTH ARE VERY TENTATIVE ID's. You need to see the flowers to be certain about a lot of this stuff, especially garden plants which can be from anywhere in the world and throws the 'it doesn't grow here rule' out the window.

Link to the Tortoise Table in case you're not familiar with it:
https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/index.php

Theo2002

Hastings
The top two look like Columbine, which is a NO according to the Tortoise table.

The bottom one looks like it might be annual Geranium (botanically, it's actually Pelargonium) which is a 'feed in moderation' plant.

BOTH ARE VERY TENTATIVE ID's. You need to see the flowers to be certain about a lot of this stuff, especially garden plants which can be from anywhere in the world and throws the 'it doesn't grow here rule' out the window.

Link to the Tortoise Table in case you're not familiar with it:
https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/index.php
Okay, I think you might be right there. Thankyou for the help, appreciate it :)

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I agree as well with the IDs. Columbine & the last one Geranium.
I have lived in my house for 15 years. Columbine grows wild all over, and blooms pink in the spring. I have had Sulcata in my habitats for 15 years. When I moved here from Calif, I did not care/know about them, so I have Sulcata grazing and eating Columbine all these years. really?

Canadian Mojo

Ontario
I have lived in my house for 15 years. Columbine grows wild all over, and blooms pink in the spring. I have had Sulcata in my habitats for 15 years. When I moved here from Calif, I did not care/know about them, so I have Sulcata grazing and eating Columbine all these years. really?
The Tortoise table is very conservative with their list of what is safe to eat. Columbine gets a red flag based on this:

This plant contains cyanogenic glycoside and although there are no cases of poisoning in either human or animal, it would be best avoided. The plant's seeds and roots are highly poisonous and contain cardiogenic toxins which cause both severe gastroenteritis and heart palpitations in humans if eaten.

Basically, it's probably bad if you eat a lot of it.