Is this tortoise healthy?

amenezes

Location (City and/or State)
Torrance, CA
Hello all, I'm a new member and recently have been doing lots of research prior to adopting a tort. I found a Russian at a local rescue and I'm applying to adopt, currently building his enclosure outside. However his shell looks a bit discolored to me but I'm no expert so I thought I'd post his pictures here and see what you experts say. I don't know much about him, the rescue only knows someone found him on the street and brought him to the local pet store who contacted the rescue. Just know that he's around 20 yrs old. Do you think his shell looks weird? Is it unhealthy? I don't mind something that is treatable but want to know before I get him what I'm getting into. I haven't seen in person yet as he's about a couple hours drive from here. Thanks!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-09-17 at 1.16.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-17 at 1.16.17 PM.png
    411.3 KB · Views: 24
  • Screen Shot 2021-09-17 at 1.16.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-17 at 1.16.03 PM.png
    441.7 KB · Views: 24

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Looks to me like that tortoise was kept where it had too much overhead heat. Perhaps a CHE at night too close? The keratin on the top of the shell looks like heat damage. Could very well be more cosmetic at this point and the tortoise is otherwise still very healthy. Behavior and appetite will show that.

amenezes

Torrance, CA
Looks to me like that tortoise was kept where it had too much overhead heat. Perhaps a CHE at night too close? The keratin on the top of the shell looks like heat damage. Could very well be more cosmetic at this point and the tortoise is otherwise still very healthy. Behavior and appetite will show that.
Thanks! I'm not worried about cosmetics but want to make sure he's healthy or that I know what I need to do when I get him.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Hello. I'm not an expert at all but other than his shell looking like what was said above the tortoise doesn't look like it can't be helped with good care. My little Russian wasn't in good shape when I got him either. I kept him because to send him back to where he came from was worse then being with me. A complete novice somewhat. You'll have the people here on TFO to help you. And they'll love doing that.?

amenezes

Torrance, CA
Hello. I'm not an expert at all but other than his shell looking like what was said above the tortoise doesn't look like it can't be helped with good care. My little Russian wasn't in good shape when I got him either. I kept him because to send him back to where he came from was worse then being with me. A complete novice somewhat. You'll have the people here on TFO to help you. And they'll love doing that.?
Thank you! Yes everyone hre is super friendly and helpful. I hope to be getting this little guy soon and I'm sure will be coming back for more questions. The rescue says he's doing well so I should be ok. Thanks again.