Is this too small for a russain tortoise

awesomecs

5 Year Member
The 2nd one is her current enclosure, and I'm planning of upgrading but idk if the 1st one is a upgrade or a downgrade, and I also need help on what tubs u could get that's bigger then the pool she's currently in

15788761013453684679218112978583.jpg 15788761203661092755402011982435.jpg

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Richmond, VA
Your tort looks like an adult so think bigger. My newest indoor enclosure is 3’x11’ and will be my Russian’s winter digs. The outside is 3’x12’ enclosure. My torts strolls the whole thing daily which helps with digestion(exercise). So when you can expand its better so good luck. BTW cypress mulch is an awesome substrate and diggable for Russians. what do you use for heat, UVB, food?

Attachments

• 6FDD08EC-4E8C-4630-A51C-BF9C135EDE12.jpeg
    6FDD08EC-4E8C-4630-A51C-BF9C135EDE12.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5

awesomecs

5 Year Member
Your tort looks like an adult so think bigger. My newest indoor enclosure is 3’x11’ and will be my Russian’s winter digs. The outside is 3’x12’ enclosure. My torts strolls the whole thing daily which helps with digestion(exercise). So when you can expand its better so good luck. BTW cypress mulch is an awesome substrate and diggable for Russians. what do you use for heat, UVB, food?
The bulb I use is a combination of Uvb and heat for my bulb, also for food I give her a variety of dandelion weeds, and some other weeds that are safe for tots (sorry forgot the name) and home grown cake, and mustard greens, and Timothy hay if she eats it, also I was going to just use soil for the new substrate but ima use some Cyprus mulch as well, also do you know any ideas on how to get a bigger enclosure, I tried looking for tubs but couldn't find any bigger then what I already had

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Richmond, VA
A separate heat source like a CHE and a UVB bulb is what you will need so that you can control the temperature separately. As for the enclosure it depends on how handy you are. Check Craigslist cause people give away the oddest things. Take a bookcase for the outer frame, put a sheet of plywood under it and line with a thick tarp and you have a bigger enclosure. Don’t hesitate to ask questions

awesomecs

5 Year Member
A separate heat source like a CHE and a UVB bulb is what you will need so that you can control the temperature separately. As for the enclosure it depends on how handy you are. Check Craigslist cause people give away the oddest things. Take a bookcase for the outer frame, put a sheet of plywood under it and line with a thick tarp and you have a bigger enclosure. Don’t hesitate to ask questions
Thanks ima check craigslist rn and see if I can find anything, hopefully I can get 2 bookcases and put them together