Is this tenting or pyramiding ?

TortiE777

Location (City and/or State)
Sunnyvale, ca
This desert tortoise is almost 18 months old . Someone said the shell sections should not be tenting. It is being fed organic baby green lettuce, Mazuri reptile (ok for tort ) soaked pellets and soaked Mozaic red tortoise food . Any advice is appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_8513.JPG
    IMG_8513.JPG
    641.6 KB · Views: 32

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
Yup, this is pyramiding. Pyramiding is caused by conditions that are too dry and does not have anything to do with diet. It possible to reduce the pyramiding of future growth by increasing the humidity of the enclosure as well as adding frequent soaks, but the pyramiding that you see now will not go away. It will become less noticeable over time as long as the conditions are improved.

Here's the current best care info:

TortiE777

Sunnyvale, ca
Yup, this is pyramiding. Pyramiding is caused by conditions that are too dry and does not have anything to do with diet. It possible to reduce the pyramiding of future growth by increasing the humidity of the enclosure as well as adding frequent soaks, but the pyramiding that you see now will not go away. It will become less noticeable over time as long as the conditions are improved.

Thank you very much... I guess I would not expect humidity to be a problem with desert tortoises

TortiE777

Sunnyvale, ca

Thank you so much... I never expected humidity to be an issue with desert tortoises