Is this shellrot?

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fargo, ND
Littlefoot is a 9 month old hermanns. For a while now this spot has been growing, but it looked like maybe just a light patch on his shell. Today there is a slight indent there and it seems a little textured. Is this shellrot? An abrasion from his adventures? What can I do?

Attachments

• WP_20140421_17_48_15_Pro.jpg
    WP_20140421_17_48_15_Pro.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 83

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I would suspect shell rot and treat it before it gets any bigger.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
If you go to the red foot tortoise thread it will tell you how to fix it . It's from to wet of substrate . Damp and worm good wet and warm bad . Red footed tortoises get this more because you have to keep humidity high .

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Here are some meds to use . Wash the spot with this soap then apply this medicine. Then use atlantic foot cream. Only use the bedadine once . Soap clean bedadine soap foot cream repeat the wash and foot cream till the spot is healed .

Attachments

• 1398139545667.jpg
    1398139545667.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 39
  • 1398139564185.jpg
    1398139564185.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 29

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
Also, should I be keeping Littlefoot in a dry hospital setup during treatment?

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
Littlefoot is a 9 month old hermanns. For a while now this spot has been growing, but it looked like maybe just a light patch on his shell. Today there is a slight indent there and it seems a little textured. Is this shellrot? An abrasion from his adventures? What can I do?

I did 1 treatment of betadine and have been using a clomitrazole cream daily at nights and keeping him in a small dry bin with paper towels through the night while he absorbs the cream and to "dry dock" him a little, so to speak.

I'm seeing no noticeable improvement so far after about a week. What else can I be doing for him?

mikeh

5 Year Member
If it was shell rot it will take some time for the color to return.

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
I suspect it was not active shell rot....the two spots appear more like damage vs rot....

Like an abrasion? Sometimes he likes to climb to the top of his cave and then slide down the other side over and over, so its possible.

I'm not expecting immediate improvement or anything, but there's NO change after a week. Spots are the exact same size and color and shape and texture. :/

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I'm not expecting immediate improvement or anything, but there's NO change after a week. Spots are the exact same size and color and shape and texture. :/

So the spots are not getting larger then ? That is a good thing....I would clean the area for awhile to assure nothing gets stuck/lodged under the layers immediately at the edge of the spot....it can take along time for an injured shell to recoup itself....

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
So the spots are not getting larger then ? That is a good thing....I would clean the area for awhile to assure nothing gets stuck/lodged under the layers immediately at the edge of the spot....it can take along time for an injured shell to recoup itself....

Nope, no change at all. Though these showed up months ago, and at first they just looked like he had a blonde spot on his shell. It was only until recently that I noticed it had gotten bigger and kinda funny looking.

Do you think it's worth continuing the shellrot treatment?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Since you are at about one week...perhaps do it another 7-10 days, this way if there has been anything that has wedged under the edges it won't have a chance to fester....."if it were me", after the 7-10 days if the area remains the same or better I would stop the treatments....I would however keep a close eyes on the area, I would take a picture and date it and then take a pic once a week for a few weeks --do the pic same time/same place/same lighting and then I would compare the pics to see if there is any visible change in a negative way....just what I would do.

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
That's very good advice, thank you!

He really doesn't like being medicated or dry docked and has been a cranky pants lately. I'd like to minimize the stress, you know? We'll continue for a few more days and see then. :)