is this shell rot forming?

atom

Location (City and/or State)
PA
Perhaps you can let us know what you are concerned about. I cannot see anything that looks like shell rot.

If you are talking about the light colored seam along the center of the plastron, that is completely normal, new growth.
Perhaps you can let us know what you are concerned about. I cannot see anything that looks like shell rot.

If you are talking about the light colored seam along the center of the plastron, that is completely normal, new growth.
Just the light brown area at the very top that is forming. I was giving her a bath this am and noticed that was forming and just wanted to double check that it wasnt a concerning spot.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
i'd guess what is probably femoral scute on the left side of the pic ? the what appears to be the eaten away part of the black ? i'd guess bacterial or fungal ....... i'd treat it with an anti-fungal anti-bacterial , i'd wipe his plastron or just that spot down with a mix of 2%chlorhexadine , Silver sulfadiazine , and an over the counter anti-fungal .......... i'm assuming it a bit eaten away , indented ? it won't disappear ,it will leave a scar .......

atom

PA
i'd guess what is probably femoral scute on the left side of the pic ? the what appears to be the eaten away part of the black ? i'd guess bacterial or fungal ....... i'd treat it with an anti-fungal anti-bacterial , i'd wipe his plastron or just that spot down with a mix of 2%chlorhexadine , Silver sulfadiazine , and an over the counter anti-fungal .......... i'm assuming it a bit eaten away , indented ? it won't disappear ,it will leave a scar .......
It is indented. We got her from petco and unfortunately we have been trying to heal these spots. Can you get these medications just at a pet store or will I need to go to a vet?

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
CVS, Walgreens Walmart even the dollar store might have it.

atom

PA
CVS, Walgreens Walmart even the dollar store might have it.
Perfect thank you! So, just to clarify I place those ointments just on that one spot on the left lower portion of the shell? Twice a day?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I see nothing of any concerns either. You can still treat them but if nothing changes after about a week or two then stop as it's nothing to treat.

atom

PA
I see nothing of any concerns either. You can still treat them but if nothing changes after about a week or two then stop as it's nothing to treat.
okay! thank you. I am just paranoid since when we got her, her shell had so many issues!

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Perfect thank you! So, just to clarify I place those ointments just on that one spot on the left lower portion of the shell? Twice a day?
@mark1 was commenting on the bit of abnormal kerating growth on the right femoral. Upper part of shell at the "armpit" of the tortoise. To me it looks more like a bit of abnormal keratin growth that perhaps was the result of a slight injury at that spot. Could have been an old fungal infection. Without a good photo with better lighting, cannot be sure. The treatment suggested will do no harm and may help just in case...

atom

PA
@mark1 was commenting on the bit of abnormal kerating growth on the right femoral. Upper part of shell at the "armpit" of the tortoise. To me it looks more like a bit of abnormal keratin growth that perhaps was the result of a slight injury at that spot. Could have been an old fungal infection. Without a good photo with better lighting, cannot be sure. The treatment suggested will do no harm and may help just in case...
268BB55C-CE59-4F37-A155-8CE7FBA41597.jpeg

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I see a spot on the tortoise's right humeral that looks like it may be a puncture type wound. Dog bite or hit on hard/sharp object?? I don't see active rot, but I would apply the treatment suggested to it to be sure it does not develop a problem.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
It is indented. We got her from petco and unfortunately we have been trying to heal these spots. Can you get these medications just at a pet store or will I need to go to a vet?
nothing dangerous about it if you take care of it ..... i assure you the black on the scute i mentioned should be totally black ..... is it an active infection , someone would need to see it , but without a single doubt that is or was a bacterial or fungal infection , it's a pic but i've seen it many times in turtles/tortoises kept indoors ..... the substrate in warm moist environments is a breeding ground for bacteria and fungus , turtles tortoises shells are completely covered with both at all times , ...... chlorhexadine would probably work on it's own , a pet shop , it's a liquid , just put it on a paper towel or gauze pad and wipe down the plaston , make sure you get it in the spot i mentioned , the worm like erosion in the black part of the femoral scute ...... anti fungal , like lotrimin , drug store , silver cream is a script ...... you don't really need it , it's just good stuff to have .....

atom

PA
I see a spot on the tortoise's right humeral that looks like it may be a puncture type wound. Dog bite or hit on hard/sharp object?? I don't see active rot, but I would apply the treatment suggested to it to be sure it does not develop a problem.
No dog and the only thing I can think of is she likes to climb maybe she fell onto something in her enclosure?

atom

PA
nothing dangerous about it if you take care of it ..... i assure you the black on the scute i mentioned should be totally black ..... is it an active infection , someone would need to see it , but without a single doubt that is or was a bacterial or fungal infection , it's a pic but i've seen it many times in turtles/tortoises kept indoors ..... the substrate in warm moist environments is a breeding ground for bacteria and fungus , turtles tortoises shells are completely covered with both at all times , ...... chlorhexadine would probably work on it's own , a pet shop , it's a liquid , just put it on a paper towel or gauze pad and wipe down the plaston , make sure you get it in the spot i mentioned , the worm like erosion in the black part of the femoral scute ...... anti fungal , like lotrimin , drug store , silver cream is a script ...... you don't really need it , it's just good stuff to have .....
Would these be alright to use?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
No dog and the only thing I can think of is she likes to climb maybe she fell onto something in her enclosure?

@mark1 and I are talking about 2 different things. He is referring the the light scraping looking marks withing the black marking of the right femoral scute. That is the scute adjacent to the right rear leg. It has what looks to me as scrapes in the keratin that are visible withing the black colored areas of that scute.

I am referring to the brownish mark on the right humeral scute. That is the scute right next to the tortoise's right front leg.

Mark1 thinks the light marks need treatment. I think they are scrapes in the keratin. I think it would be wise to treat the darker mark in the humeral. Treat both!

Check the enclosure for a rock or hard object your tortoise can fall on when trying to climb.

atom

PA
@mark1 and I are talking about 2 different things. He is referring the the light scraping looking marks withing the black marking of the right femoral scute. That is the scute adjacent to the right rear leg. It has what looks to me as scrapes in the keratin that are visible withing the black colored areas of that scute.

I am referring to the brownish mark on the right humeral scute. That is the scute right next to the tortoise's right front leg.

Mark1 thinks the light marks need treatment. I think they are scrapes in the keratin. I think it would be wise to treat the darker mark in the humeral. Treat both!

Check the enclosure for a rock or hard object your tortoise can fall on when trying to climb.
thank you, i do really appreciate it ! So, tx twice a day for a week and see if there is improvement? https://www.riteaid.com/shop/ra-antisptc-skn-clnsr-8z-0362278

atom

PA
Injuries from fungus or other damages heal fairly quickly. But the scars take a very long time to fade away
thank you! I am treating for a week with the products listed above, just to play it safe!