Is this shell rot? 3-4 year old herman Tortoise

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
I'm not sure if it is, but I know other members have treated it easily enough so wait to see what they say and they'll tell you what they use.

I wondered if he's bashed it or scraped it on something, but the ridge between the scutes looks OK so it possibly is.

If you post pics of his enclosure and say what lamps and substrate you use, what the temps and humidity are etc., it will give a better picture for members and help you avoid it again.

Rocky219

Massachusetts
I'm not sure if it is, but I know other members have treated it easily enough so wait to see what they say and they'll tell you what they use.

Could it just be that he's bashed it or scraped it on something?
If you post pics of his enclosure it will give a better picture for members.
I guess it could be. Sometimes he goes between his log and the wall but then I think that both sides would be damaged. Here is a link of his enclosure (If you cannot find it it is on the "Here Is a link" just click on it) I am going to the vet on friday and am wondering If I should just wait until then?

Rocky219

Massachusetts
I'm not so sure, but that may be a scrape or something else. If i'm not wrong, shell rot is mostly on the plastron (bottom part of the shell) of tortoises. But I suggest you double check since I am probably not 100% accurate.
Thank you for responding. I am going to the vet on Friday so I guess I will have to just wait. It has not seemed to have gotten worse and it does not smell in that particular spot.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Let us know what substrate and lamps you use and what his temps and humidity are too - that way of it is rot you'll find out how to avoid it in future.

If it is rot I know members have treated it themselves easily enough without the expense of a vet so just hang in there.

Was there another reason you were seeing the vet or just for this?

Rocky219

Massachusetts
Let us know what substrate and lamps you use and what his temps and humidity are too - that way of it is rot you'll find out how to avoid it in future.

If it is rot I know members have treated it themselves easily enough without the expense of a vet so just hang in there.

Was there another reason you were seeing the vet or just for this?
Just for this. Also I guess a checkup. I use coconut fiber mixed with cypress mulch. I have a humidifier. Someone on reddit advised that I should stop using it though because it may be causing it. It is always between 40 and 60% humidity when the humidifier is on. I have a UVB and a I think 100 watt basking bulb but I am not sure. The temps are usually between 90 and 97f in the basking spot.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I guess it could be. Sometimes he goes between his log and the wall but then I think that both sides would be damaged. Here is a link of his enclosure (If you cannot find it it is on the "Here Is a link" just click on it) I am going to the vet on friday and am wondering If I should just wait until then?
The enclosure is a bit small for a tort his size now and I think too dry.
As he already has a log hide maybe you could remove the partition and put the log under there to give him more room to wander.
Have you read the caresheet for up to date advice on caring for a Temperate species (Greek, Russian and Hermanns included. That will give you great advice a lot of reading but your tort will benefit.

Rocky219

Massachusetts
The enclosure is a bit small for a tort his size now and I think too dry.
As he already has a log hide maybe you could remove the partition and put the log under there to give him more room to wander.
Have you read the caresheet for up to date advice on caring for a Temperate species (Greek, Russian and Hermanns included. That will give you great advice a lot of reading but your tort will benefit.
Yes I have. Right now I am saving up for a bigger enclosure for him. That is a very good idea

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Just for this. Also I guess a checkup. I use coconut fiber mixed with cypress mulch. I have a humidifier. Someone on reddit advised that I should stop using it though because it may be causing it. It is always between 40 and 60% humidity when the humidifier is on. I have a UVB and a I think 100 watt basking bulb but I am not sure. The temps are usually between 90 and 97f in the basking spot.
Maybe @Tom or @Yvonne G or @KarenSoCal will be able to help you more.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
That's not shell rot.
It's also not shell fungus.
It doesnt appear to be anything to be concerned about.
What it IS? I'm not sure. But it looks like an area of abrasion. Like he's been trying to get under something. Maybe a door?

Rocky219

Massachusetts
That's not shell rot.
It's also not shell fungus.
It doesnt appear to be anything to be concerned about.
What it IS? I'm not sure. But it looks like an area of abrasion. Like he's been trying to get under something. Maybe a door?
Thank you for responding. He climbs up then slides down a long maybe that? But his bottom would be bruised. Sometimes he would get stuck between the log and the wall so I took it away yesterday but then I think that he would have marks on both sides.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Thank you for responding. I am going to the vet on Friday so I guess I will have to just wait. It has not seemed to have gotten worse and it does not smell in that particular spot.
You taking him to a Vet because of that spot? Does he go outside? It looks like and old injury to me. Is that spot new? Can you scrape off any debris?
Trips to the Vet with tortoises is generally a waste of money. My experience (even tho I had a good exotic vet) is that the experts here on TFO will save you a ton of Vet money. You only take a tortoise to the vet if it's really sick or injured. Give our experts a chance to help you first. IF that is shell rot the fix is easy, athletes foot creme. Done saved money, but it's not shell rot

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
You taking him to a Vet because of that spot? Does he go outside? It looks like and old injury to me. Is that spot new? Can you scrape off any debris?
Trips to the Vet with tortoises is generally a waste of money. My experience (even tho I had a good exotic vet) is that the experts here on TFO will save you a ton of Vet money. You only take a tortoise to the vet if it's really sick or injured. Give our experts a chance to help you first. IF that is shell rot the fix is easy, athletes foot creme. Done saved money, but it's not shell rot
I tend to agree with you Maggie.
But I'm sure you remember being a fairly new tort keeper. Worrying about every "what if".
I'm a fan of anyone that takes a reptile to see a vet!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I tend to agree with you Maggie.
But I'm sure you remember being a fairly new tort keeper. Worrying about every "what if".
I'm a fan of anyone that takes a reptile to see a vet!
Yeah, I know but remember, I had my sister, and I still call her asking the same questions. I actually am a bit obsessive as well, I hate it and I lose sleep if I have an animal who's not eating. Drives me insane, why? Don't have a clue, I used to think if they were eating they will live. But you know that ain't true lol