Is this safe?

Kylee L.

Location (City and/or State)
Jacksonville, FL
20200202_145941.jpg
spring is moving In fast here in SC, i want to get a good start on planting my tort garden but I'm just never sure if the soil/ plant food i want to buy is safe. I have heard "if it's safe for humans it's safe for torts". I try to stick to organic products but they get expensive fast. one member said she uses a mericale grow plant feed for fruits and vegetables, I found it but in only tiny jugs and I'm looking for soil more than just food. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
Just from what I've read on this forum I say no. It is made buy Miracle Grow. Good for growing tomatoes not tortoise.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It is my understanding that the plant takes the nutrients (read fertilizers) from the soil and converts them to what the plant needs to grow. I don't think fertilizers taken up through a plant's roots are then harmful to whatever eats that plant. It's fertilizers, etc. that we use a folier spray that you don't want your tortoise to eat. But let's ask someone with more knowledge on this subject than I - @Kapidolo Farms

I'm talking about fertilizers here, NOT systemic pesticides or herbicides.

Kylee L.

Jacksonville, FL
It is my understanding that the plant takes the nutrients (read fertilizers) from the soil and converts them to what the plant needs to grow. I don't think fertilizers taken up through a plant's roots are then harmful to whatever eats that plant. It's fertilizers, etc. that we use a folier spray that you don't want your tortoise to eat. But let's ask someone with more knowledge on this subject than I - @Kapidolo Farms

thanks you! I think that's where my confusion/paranoia lies, if it's a pesticides (I know those are harmful) or a fertilizer and if they make dangerous fertilizers..

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
First, you don't need "organic" stuff. That is a big sham to separate people from more of their money.

Second, you need to read the ingredients list and make sure their are no chemicals or weird stuff in there. No pesticides, herbicides, anti-fungals, no perlite, no "wetting agents", etc... In general, if the product is marketed fro growing food, it is going to be safe to use to grow food for your tortoise. Products like the one in the pic you posted that are marketed for decorative flowers and plants, are more likely to have chemicals in them, because they don't intend for them to be eaten by anyone.

Kylee L.

Jacksonville, FL
First, you don't need "organic" stuff. That is a big sham to separate people from more of their money.

Second, you need to read the ingredients list and make sure their are no chemicals or weird stuff in there. No pesticides, herbicides, anti-fungals, no perlite, no "wetting agents", etc... In general, if the product is marketed fro growing food, it is going to be safe to use to grow food for your tortoise. Products like the one in the pic you posted that are marketed for decorative flowers and plants, are more likely to have chemicals in them, because they don't intend for them to be eaten by anyone.
thank you for clearing that up. it is really common sense and logic but I still get paranoid lol

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
I agree, and sent a PM to the OP.