Is this safe for sulcatas

Madkathq

Location (City and/or State)
Lake Elsinore
Is that a Box Wood/Privet hedge? I wouldnt feed. Too many other good things out there.
I have no idea what it is, but thank you for the advice. I'm trying to see what I have around now that the change in season is killing stuff off

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have no idea what it is, but thank you for the advice. I'm trying to see what I have around now that the change in season is killing stuff off
It looks like a wild a$$ box wood to me too, but I'm not 100% sure of that. I wouldn't want my tortoises to have access to that.

In your area:
grape vines
mulberry trees
spineless opuntia
lavatera
tipu trees
Ask @Carol S for some broadleaf plantain seeds
Testudo mix from tortoisesupply.com @TylerStewart
Desert type Palms

There are many more, but I grow all of these myself year after year and I know they thrive in our climate here in SoCal.

Madkathq

Lake Elsinore
It looks like a wild a$$ box wood to me too, but I'm not 100% sure of that. I wouldn't want my tortoises to have access to that.

In your area:
grape vines
mulberry trees
spineless opuntia
lavatera
tipu trees
Ask @Carol S for some broadleaf plantain seeds
Testudo mix from tortoisesupply.com @TylerStewart
Desert type Palms

There are many more, but I grow all of these myself year after year and I know they thrive in our climate here in SoCal.
I live in the middle of nowhere with nothing but foxtail, Opuntia, a few small flowering plants like dandelion they can eat, and dirt. They are very few living plants here that aren't poisonous to them and one tort hates Opuntia (days of trial and error allowed me to sneak it into mazuri tort mush so that he gets a variety). I'm growing seeds but maybe I'm being impatient. I have 3 sprouts and a dead cat grass after a month of attempts ? maybe I'm not a plant mom. Anyways, I'm looking at having to purchase some greens at a plant store or something just for the time being I guess because everyone uses bug spray this time of year. It's no big deal, I just had no clue what this was because I've never tried identifying plants before getting my babies

Madkathq

Lake Elsinore
I live in the middle of nowhere with nothing but foxtail, Opuntia, a few small flowering plants like dandelion they can eat, and dirt. They are very few living plants here that aren't poisonous to them and one tort hates Opuntia (days of trial and error allowed me to sneak it into mazuri tort mush so that he gets a variety). I'm growing seeds but maybe I'm being impatient. I have 3 sprouts and a dead cat grass after a month of attempts ? maybe I'm not a plant mom. Anyways, I'm looking at having to purchase some greens at a plant store or something just for the time being I guess because everyone uses bug spray this time of year. It's no big deal, I just had no clue what this was because I've never tried identifying plants before getting my babies
Wait it just clicked, they can eat mulberry?! Isn't that super sweet? I have a friend with a tree

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
I’m horrible with shrubs but I think it’s African boxwood or Cape (not Crepe!) Myrtle. Native to Africa! Like your tortoise! But I don’t think I would feed it; I don’t know enough about the plant family it’s in to recommend it.

Good luck with your mulberry tree friend!