Is this right?

Maggy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Salt Lake City, Utah
I have never gotten a straight answer for this question. I have a 4 year old hermanns tortoise. Right now his enclosure is around 80% humidity. I am wanting to change his enclosure into a tortoise table but there is no way that I can keep the humidity up that high with am open top. From my understanding, he only has to have that much humidity until he stops growing and then he can have an open top. Is this true? Or what are other ways that I can accomplish this or am I totally wrong?

Bee62

Germany
I have never gotten a straight answer for this question. I have a 4 year old hermanns tortoise. Right now his enclosure is around 80% humidity. I am wanting to change his enclosure into a tortoise table but there is no way that I can keep the humidity up that high with am open top. From my understanding, he only has to have that much humidity until he stops growing and then he can have an open top. Is this true? Or what are other ways that I can accomplish this or am I totally wrong?
You are totally right ! The first years are the important years for a smooth shell and healthy growing. When a tort gets older you can lower the humidity. Can you show us some pics of your tortoise ? I think you can change the enclosure to an open tortoise table. Maybe you can give your tortoise a humid place in the new enclosure. A humid hide or a corner with wet substrate. When your tort need humidity he can find it there.

Maggy

5 Year Member
Salt Lake City, Utah
You are totally right ! The first years are the important years for a smooth shell and healthy growing. When a tort gets older you can lower the humidity. Can you show us some pics of your tortoise ? I think you can change the enclosure to an open tortoise table. Maybe you can give your tortoise a humid place in the new enclosure. A humid hide or a corner with wet substrate. When your tort need humidity he can find it there.
Here are some pictures of Thomas and his enclosure! So even though he's only 4 and still growing, do you think it would be ok with an open top enclosure and just some humid hides around instead of having a massive tarp over it to keep the whole enclosure at 80% humidity?20200524_162330.jpg20200524_162355.jpg20200524_162403.jpg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings, I’m just curious why you are in a rush to move to a completely open top enclosure when you have a good closed one set up? Your tort looks good.

Maggy

5 Year Member
Salt Lake City, Utah
Greetings, I’m just curious why you are in a rush to move to a completely open top enclosure when you have a good closed one set up? Your tort looks good.
I'm not in a rush necessarily. I just would like to know. Having to have a tarp on top kind if limits the types of things you can do with the enclosure size and space wise so I am wondering when I could potentially build a new one for him is all!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
I'm not in a rush necessarily. I just would like to know. Having to have a tarp on top kind if limits the types of things you can do with the enclosure size and space wise so I am wondering when I could potentially build a new one for him is all!

Gotcha. Good luck nice looking tort..

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Thank you!

Have you used that grow tent for the last few years. It’s really a great configuration, space to hang lights & keep humidity in. Maybe just get a much larger one - the higher inside humidity is doing wonders for your Hermanns.

Maggy

5 Year Member
Salt Lake City, Utah
Have you used that grow tent for the last few years. It’s really a great configuration, space to hang lights & keep humidity in. Maybe just get a much larger one - the higher inside humidity is doing wonders for your Hermanns.
I have been using it the last few years and it's been amazing. Sadly, they don't have a bigger one that I can find :(

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
Wow! Your tortoise looks so beautiful and healthy. Great job!