Is this pyramiding?

Anna!

5 Year Member
Just making sure before I start feeling like the worlds worst tortoise mom.

Attachments

• 5B2A4607-5C99-495E-9412-FC2325789CA0.jpeg
    5B2A4607-5C99-495E-9412-FC2325789CA0.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 32
  • 74F43912-8DC2-42FF-9B2D-5638F7B696C9.jpeg
    74F43912-8DC2-42FF-9B2D-5638F7B696C9.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 31

Chubbs the tegu

Location (City and/or State)
Ma
Yes u have some pyramiding going on there. Dont beat urself up over it... u can slow it down by raising humidity and adding a humid hide. Have u read Toms care thread?

Anna!

5 Year Member
Yes u have some pyramiding going on there. Dont beat urself up over it... u can slow it down by raising humidity and adding a humid hide. Have u read Toms care thread?
Yeah. His humidity is high, he has a hide, I’m following Tom’s care instructions but I’ve had trouble getting enough soaks in lately. I’ve had some mobility issues that culminated in foot surgery so I’ve not been as good about getting him soaked as I should be. Clearly it’s starting to take a toll so I’ll have to make sure I am better about that.
thanks.

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
On top of the soaks.. u can try spraying his shell several times a day also. Good luck!

Anna!

5 Year Member
Thanks! Tom mentioned in another one of my posts that I’m leaving him outside for too long each day, so I feel stupid for not thinking that the high humidity I’ve been maintaining in his tank only works if he’s actually in it, and not in the yard. ??‍♀️

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks! Tom mentioned in another one of my posts that I’m leaving him outside for too long each day, so I feel stupid for not thinking that the high humidity I’ve been maintaining in his tank only works if he’s actually in it, and not in the yard. ??‍♀️
Don't beat your self up. Some of them pyramid even in "prefect" conditions. Even with all my experience, experiments and effort, I STILL get some mild pyramiding in some of my leopards and stars. You are NOT the worlds worse tortoise mom. Far from it. You are on the other end of the spectrum from "worst".

One of the results from leaving them outside a lot, even in a warm humid climate, is pyramiding. The other commonly seen side effect is slow growth.

Here is one more thing to consider: Basking lamps and indoor UV. Ok, that was two things... Both of these can really dry out the carapace and contribute to pyramiding. If your tortoise is getting regular sunshine a couple times a week or more, I'd skip the indoor UV. Instead use a LED bulb to make it bright inside. Take a look at your basking lamp and temps. The warmer you keep the ambient, the less they will be inclined to bask under the desiccating light bulb. I like to use low wattage basking lamps, and let ambient temps rise into the high 80s or low 90s during the day.

Anna!

5 Year Member
Don't beat your self up. Some of them pyramid even in "prefect" conditions. Even with all my experience, experiments and effort, I STILL get some mild pyramiding in some of my leopards and stars. You are NOT the worlds worse tortoise mom. Far from it. You are on the other end of the spectrum from "worst".

One of the results from leaving them outside a lot, even in a warm humid climate, is pyramiding. The other commonly seen side effect is slow growth.

Here is one more thing to consider: Basking lamps and indoor UV. Ok, that was two things... Both of these can really dry out the carapace and contribute to pyramiding. If your tortoise is getting regular sunshine a couple times a week or more, I'd skip the indoor UV. Instead use a LED bulb to make it bright inside. Take a look at your basking lamp and temps. The warmer you keep the ambient, the less they will be inclined to bask under the desiccating light bulb. I like to use low wattage basking lamps, and let ambient temps rise into the high 80s or low 90s during the day.
That’s a really good suggestion. I use a uvb/basking combo for when he can’t get outside during the day, but his tank is also in front of a window so he doesn’t actually need it for light. His CHE keeps things nice and toasty (he arrived in March with a respiratory infection and then a power outage one night kicked it up a notch into pneumonia. He’s finally on the other side of pneumonia and the vet suggested keeping it above 83 at night for a month or so just to make sure he’s fully healed) and I can easily pop him outside for a few hours each day to makeup for that UV. Hopefully that helps with the pyramiding. Thank you for your help!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That’s a really good suggestion. I use a uvb/basking combo for when he can’t get outside during the day, but his tank is also in front of a window so he doesn’t actually need it for light. His CHE keeps things nice and toasty (he arrived in March with a respiratory infection and then a power outage one night kicked it up a notch into pneumonia. He’s finally on the other side of pneumonia and the vet suggested keeping it above 83 at night for a month or so just to make sure he’s fully healed) and I can easily pop him outside for a few hours each day to makeup for that UV. Hopefully that helps with the pyramiding. Thank you for your help!
If you are using a mercury vapor bulb inside, well... those cause pyramiding.