Is this pyramiding?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hi no I keep him indoors but let him out the garden when it’s warm View attachment 296974View attachment 296974View attachment 296974View attachment 296975View attachment 296975View attachment 296976View attachment 296976

Sorry it was for someone else thanks anyway
I really like your enclosure and the framework to hang the lights.

I am always looking for pictures that show how well some keepers do this. I use the picture on this forum to demonstrate to newbies what I'm talking about. It's not easy to describe without a picture.

Would you be willing to take a few more pictures of your setup? Especially one that shows the entire enclosure and framework, all in one shot.

If you are, please just post them here. And may I use them on this forum?

Lokkje

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Phoenix
Oh, I think I was doing things pretty well, probably even before your parents were born, and in the days before internet forums, how-to books, videos, etc., were invented and began offering people unlimited advice and guidance.

What I am trying to help you and the original poster understand is that these factors are all inter-related, it is not just a one factor problem. IE, plenty of humidity alone without daily soaks, excellent UV lighting, a good diet, and adequate calcium and vitamin intake is not going to produce good looking growth in a tortoise.

Check out these three tortoises. All were hatched and raised entirely indoors by me from day one. They are one, two, and three years of age in the photo. They were raised in open top tubs with absolutely no effort made to control the humidity of their environments. I didn't even provide humid hide boxes for them. All the other factors I have mentioned (daily soaking, a good diet, superb UV lighting, adequate calcium and Vitamin D) were given to them. These tortoises are not severely pyramided (if one could call them pyramided at all) and they had NO humidity provided (other than that of the ambient air in a heated room which is very minimal).

View attachment 296952
OMG these torts are gorgeous!

SKOLsuper

5 Year Member
Essex
I really like your enclosure and the framework to hang the lights.

I am always looking for pictures that show how well some keepers do this. I use the picture on this forum to demonstrate to newbies what I'm talking about. It's not easy to describe without a picture.

Would you be willing to take a few more pictures of your setup? Especially one that shows the entire enclosure and framework, all in one shot.

If you are, please just post them here. And may I use them on this forum?
Ok

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
Hello,
This is Frida. She’s a little over a year old. I recently noticed her she’ll is raising a little. And it looks dry. During the day i started putting her out to get some sun and at night she’s inside. Inside her tank she has orchid bark and ceramic heat omitters. I know this is something that can’t be reversed but is there something I can do to stop it from getting worse?

View attachment 296911View attachment 296912View attachment 296913View attachment 296914

You're blowing it big time.

Jsvargas13

California
Hi no I keep him indoors but let him out the garden when it’s warm View attachment 296974View attachment 296974View attachment 296974View attachment 296975View attachment 296975View attachment 296976View attachment 296976

Sorry it was for someone else thanks anyway

your tortoise looks amazing! I want to help mine stop pyramiding. I will start giving her daily soaks for sure!! I took a look at where you keep Him and I think my set up needs improving.Would you mind giving me a breakdown of how you set it up? And what you use as substrate? Also next to his hide, what is that?

Jsvargas13

California
Oh, I think I was doing things pretty well, probably even before your parents were born, and in the days before internet forums, how-to books, videos, etc., were invented and began offering people unlimited advice and guidance.

What I am trying to help you and the original poster understand is that these factors are all inter-related, it is not just a one factor problem. IE, plenty of humidity alone without daily soaks, excellent UV lighting, a good diet, and adequate calcium and vitamin intake is not going to produce good looking growth in a tortoise.

Check out these three tortoises. All were hatched and raised entirely indoors by me from day one. They are one, two, and three years of age in the photo. They were raised in open top tubs with absolutely no effort made to control the humidity of their environments. I didn't even provide humid hide boxes for them. All the other factors I have mentioned (daily soaking, a good diet, superb UV lighting, adequate calcium and Vitamin D) were given to them. These tortoises are not severely pyramided (if one could call them pyramided at all) and they had NO humidity provided (other than that of the ambient air in a heated room which is very minimal).

View attachment 296952

thank you, I’m taking all the advice put I to this thread and doing what I can do help my tortoise out. I will do the soaks and cattle bone.

SKOLsuper

5 Year Member
Essex
your tortoise looks amazing! I want to help mine stop pyramiding. I will start giving her daily soaks for sure!! I took a look at where you keep Him and I think my set up needs improving.Would you mind giving me a breakdown of how you set it up? And what you use as substrate? Also next to his hide, what is that?
[/QUOTE
Hi coco fibre ,prickly pear plant fogger for steam ,hay heaters