Is this normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terrapin

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
So info first. Tusya my little adult Russian tortoise has been with me two weeks now after being shipped ala FedEx from ATC (the Arizona tortoise compound). He is in a 6x4 indoor enclosure with basking light temp at 90-100. The area gets medium light in the day and I have two additional 60wat lights that run during day time. (Pic of enclosure attached)

So a couple things he stays buried all the time except to come out to eat. The past two days he hasn't eaten at all. :(
He primarily stays buried in the warm end also.

Now the past two days my house ambient temp has been in the low 80s during the day. Is it maybe too warm for him?

Attachments

• IMG_20130507_231010.jpg
    IMG_20130507_231010.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 32

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would guess that with all the lights I see, it may be too warm. Also, they should have a humidity between 40-60. Be sure your temps and humidity is correct and see how he does.

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
I like the enclosure! It is probably too warm, you should have a cool side that stays in the low 70s, and at night it should probably get into the low 60s. As Wellington said humidity needs to be 40-60%. Do you have a UVB bulb? Did you soak at all when you first got him/her?

Terrapin

5 Year Member
Texas
Humidity in my home has been around 60 right now 65.% in the enclosure. Only the UV is low the other two lights are higher. the lights are only over the warm end, where he is buried. What is generating the high temps in the house is the 90 degree weather. I will try running the air at a lower temp during the day. I'm afraid 60deg nights is simply not possible where I live.

Spn785 said:
I like the enclosure! It is probably too warm, you should have a cool side that stays in the low 70s, and at night it should probably get into the low 60s. As Wellington said humidity needs to be 40-60%. Do you have a UVB bulb? Did you soak at all when you first got him/her?

He has had to nice soaks, once a week since he's come home me.

The main heat light is UV.

I mentioned temps and humidity in previous response (I got mixed up who I was responding too at first. Its too early lol)

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
LOL. I know what I do is not reasponable for many people, but I have my tortoise in its own room with a window airconditioning unit set up. What type of UVB do you have? You could also mist with cool water a few times a day to keep the temp a little lower.

Terrapin

5 Year Member
Texas
Spn785 said:
LOL. I know what I do is not reasrponable for many people, but I have my tortoise in its own room with a window airconditioning unit set up. What type of UVB do you have? You could also mist with cool water a few times a day to keep the temp a little lower.

Cool end of enclosure is currently 75deg

I am using 100watt Powersun.

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
Awesome! 75 is on the warmer side, but not too bad, your tortoise should be just fine. Keep the other two lights off. One other thing I might suggest is getting a tube UVB bulb. You can get the bulb itself for $20 (sometimes less), and I found a nice 4' fixture for $15 at Lowes. This will provide more light in the enclosure and more UVB without producing more heat.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Keep in mind that your tortoise is in a new environment with unfamiliar surroundings-it takes them awhile to acclimate and become secure enough to come out and explore. Also, Russian tortoises are a true burrowing species, they naturally spend much of their time underground to escape predators, extreme heat, dryness, cold and other environmental conditions.

Terrapin

5 Year Member
Texas
GBtortoises said:
Keep in mind that your tortoise is in a new environment with unfamiliar surroundings-it takes them awhile to acclimate and become secure enough to come out and explore. Also, Russian tortoises are a true burrowing species, they naturally spend much of their time underground to escape predators, extreme heat, dryness, cold and other environmental conditions.

I sorta figured that he's still adjusting. And it isn't like he hasn't eaten at all since he's been here only skipped last couple days.

I just wanted to check in and make sure. I'm new torty mom so of course over attentive. :)

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
LOL. Of course you are being over attentive, I still am and I have had my n tortoise for a month and a half now. I think I misread what you wrote, I had thought he hadn't been eating since you got him.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Terrapin said:
GBtortoises said:

I sorta figured that he's still adjusting. And it isn't like he hasn't eaten at all since he's been here only skipped last couple days.

I just wanted to check in and make sure. I'm new torty mom so of course over attentive. :)

It's not unusual for a tortoise, especially a wild caught tortoise, in a new environment to go days, even a few weeks without eating until they become secure enough to "relax" a bit. As long as they are healthy and well hydrated there should be no problem. People tend to think of tortoises and other reptiles in human terms with such things as eating frequency and many other aspects of daily life. In reality they're very different than humans and others mammals in most of those aspects.

Terrapin

5 Year Member
Texas
GBtortoises said:
Terrapin said:
GBtortoises said:
It's not unusual for a tortoise, especially a wild caught tortoise, in a new environment to go days, even a few weeks without eating until they become secure enough to "relax" a bit. As long as they are healthy and well hydrated there should be no problem. People tend to think of tortoises and other reptiles in human terms with such things as eating frequency and many other aspects of daily life. In reality they're very different than humans and others mammals in most of those aspects.

He is actually come from The Arizona Tortoise Compound where its was noted that the two males available were not fresh off the boat and have been in captivity for some time.

And he ate heartily all last week only skipping one days meal and was eating a little lighter this week but skipped past few days.

Spn785 said:
LOL. Of course you are being over attentive, I still am and I have had my n tortoise for a month and a half now. I think I misread what you wrote, I had thought he hadn't been eating since you got him.

Oh no no he ate the very next day and steadily each day after. He skipped one meal last week and two in a row this week.

But he has consistently stayed buried.

And I have read the sticky ."why does my Russian stay buried" in the species such specific section. Which is why I was wondering if my lighting wasn't bright enough or maybe he was too warm .(tho why would he bury himself in the hot end?)

I guess I just need to be more patient and let him be a torty and settle in

Status
Not open for further replies.