Is this normal? (white scales on head)

YellowfootMama

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oshawa, Ontario
This is my new tortoise Shungu, I am wondering what the white scales on her head, and this white spot on her neck are? They just popped up yesterday. TIA for your assistance in this matter.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 62
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    309.1 KB · Views: 62

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The neck spot just looks like the skin may have been rubbing on the edge of the carapace. The head looks perfectly fine to me.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I also think it might be nothing to worry about. Monitor it for a while and make sure it doesn't get worse. I might be tempted to dab some antiseptic on it with a Q-tip.

YellowfootMama

5 Year Member
Oshawa, Ontario
Someone else has suggested that it may be a nodule from too much dampness. This could be very true as that area might never dry. As far as an antiseptic what would be tortoise safe? How about polysporin? Thank you very much for your replies! I very much appreciate it!

YellowfootMama

5 Year Member
Oshawa, Ontario
Thank you. It is not raised and believed to be a scar. I will know more when I take her to the vet for a check
Up and I will be sure to post an update when I do. Thanks for the advice/support.

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
The white spot on the neck is definitely well-healed scar tissue. The white spots on the head scalation is normal.

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Florida
If the substrate is to wet it could be the start of a skin bacterial/fungal infection, though that looks like more of a healed spot to me.