Is This Normal Tortoise Behavior? Sleeping/Not Eating

astrolia

Location (City and/or State)
Victorville CA
Good evening all,

I would say a month or two ago, my 22-year-old Russian tort had swelled up with edema and was diagnosed with parasites. Her enclosure was disinfected, she was fed an oral medication (NOT Ivermectin), I made minor changes to her diet, and last week I am happy to report her followup visit confirmed the parasites are gone.

Her behavior, however, I would say has declined. Even with the parasites in her body, she would eat every single day and loved sunbathing under her lamp or roaming her outdoor enclosure. In the past few weeks, she has been eating less - either not finishing her food or touching it at all. She also has been less active, retreating to her hide early in the day. Now, she hasn't eaten in four days and has not left her hide at all in the past two days. This behavior is very unusual for her. It's as if she's preparing for hibernation in the middle of California Summer.

Does anybody have any advice as to how I should handle this? The vet confirmed has no respiratory disease, kidney stones, egg issues, or parasites anymore. Physically, she looks fine - eyes and nose clean, no swelling or bloating, healthy shell, no injuries. It's just very confusing to me and I want to be proactive if there is anything I should do beside give her space. Thank you in advance.

mads3732

Harrington
I couldnt not respond to this. I'm the last person to answer in terms of advice, but I'm praying for your tourtise to return to full health. I hope it gets better. :(

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Are you still soaking? Has your sun light changed so she's confused? I'm also thinkin that that type of medicine is hard on them. I'd keep up on the soaks but add a jar of Gerber strained carrots to the water, she will get Vitamin A from that. Keep offering food. can you take out side?

astrolia

Victorville CA
Are you still soaking? Has your sun light changed so she's confused? I'm also thinkin that that type of medicine is hard on them. I'd keep up on the soaks but add a jar of Gerber strained carrots to the water, she will get Vitamin A from that. Keep offering food. can you take out side?
I can take her outside, which I haven't done lately to let her rest, but I will try it out. I also give her regular soaks but I will be more frequent with those as well until she's feeling better.