Is this normal for leopard tortoise

Kim's petunia

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Palmbay FL
Much better. Thank you. :)

This all sounds pretty good. I'm trying to sleuth out what would make the tortoise not like her indoor enclosure. The last thing I see would be, which type of florescent tube you are using. Is it a regular 10.0 T8 model, or one of the newer HO T5 type bulbs?

Can we see a few pictures of the enclosure? Maybe we will see something there that will help ID the problem.
I am on my way home. I will in about 15 mins.

Kim's petunia

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palmbay FL
Could it be she is cold. It was 95 when I had her out today. She went in the shade.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Could it be she is cold. It was 95 when I had her out today. She went in the shade.
So that whole room is 80 or higher day and night?

12 inches is very close for a HO tube. The light might be hurting her eyes indoors. Do you have a UV meter to check it with?

Kim's petunia

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palmbay FL
So that whole room is 80 or higher day and night?

12 inches is very close for a HO tube. The light might be hurting her eyes indoors. Do you have a UV meter to check it with?
No I don't have a uv meter. The room. Maybe got down to 70 at night. I have not put the a.c. on in that room. I just put a shower curtain over ?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No I don't have a uv meter. The room. Maybe got down to 70 at night. I have not put the a.c. on in that room. I just put a shower curtain over ?
Cold nights might be your problem. They need night heat, and there is really no way to do in an open table like that. You need a closed chamber and you need night heat. I don't know how a shower curtain would work for something like this.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How high should the light be?
Depends on what it is. Is it a ZooMed 10.0 HO? Arcadia 12%? Something else?

Each bulb is a little different. I can give you a guess based on previous reading of those bulbs, but without a meter, its just a guess.

Kim's petunia

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palmbay FL
Cold nights might be your problem. They need night heat, and there is really no way to do in an open table like that. You need a closed chamber and you need night heat. I don't know how a shower curtain would work for something like this.
She has a heat bulb no light. I can use a heater

Kim's petunia

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palmbay FL

Each bulb is a little different. I can give you a guess based on previous reading of those bulbs, but without a meter, its just a guess.
It's a Zoo med

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It's a Zoo med
If its a ZooMed 10.0 HO, I'd go about 18 inches above the torotise. TO be safe you could go all the way to 20-24 inches. This will greatly reduce any UV benefit, but because your tortoise gets sunshine for hours nearly every day, you really don't need indoor UV anyway.

Try raising the bulb up high, or shutting it off, and see if she behaves differently after a few days.

Kim's petunia

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palmbay FL

It's a zoo med. 10.0. T5. I didn't box. Ok. I hope that is all. She is going to the vet this to meet them. Not sure if I should move it up.

Kim's petunia

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palmbay FL
I have a 3 year old leopard tortoise. I had her shipped and received her last Thursday. When I unwrapped her she seemed to be alert fine she had done a big poop so I gave her a wash with water, than she soak for about 20 minutes. Thursday evening she started throwing. I called her vet and they have said as long as she didn't do it again just to watch her. Late that night she did it again so I got up Friday morning call my vet and they couldn't see her but , I did take her to another vet that specializes in Exotics. He said she's looking good and couldn't see anything wrong but her concerned and I should bring a poop sample back. She's not eating a lot she hasn't pooped she has been soaked she likes being outdoors and she doesn't like her tortie table at night. She did eat a little bit on Friday night and Saturday Sunday morning a little but she hasn't eaten Sunday night or now it's Monday morning. I was thinking in the vet agreed that it was probably from the traumatic shipping could use a few states away but I was assuming she was going to start eating better today.

This all sounds pretty good. I'm trying to sleuth out what would make the tortoise not like her indoor enclosure. The last thing I see would be, which type of florescent tube you are using. Is it a regular 10.0 T8 model, or one of the newer HO T5 type bulbs?

Can we see a few pictures of the enclosure? Maybe we will see something there that will help ID the problem.
I just realized my pictures didn

I also not good with phones. I will try pic kno0504202029_HDR.jpgw

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It's a zoo med. 10.0. T5. I didn't box. Ok. I hope that is all. She is going to the vet this to meet them. Not sure if I should move it up.
I can't be any more clear...

Turn the UV tube off for a few days and see if that helps the situation. We want to eliminate this as a variable. Your tortoise can go months with NO UV at all, so let's test this one factor.

Kim's petunia

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palmbay FL
I can't be any more clear...

Turn the UV tube off for a few days and see if that helps the situation. We want to eliminate this as a variable. Your tortoise can go months with NO UV at all, so let's test this one factor.
Okay thank you , I gave her soaked this morning she seemed okay .Her eyes look good and her noise is not running. she wanted to walk around the floor a little. she was just kind of hung out in the water no poop. I gave her breakfast she hasn't eaten , I was hopping she would eat.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Okay thank you , I gave her soaked this morning she seemed okay .Her eyes look good and her noise is not running. she wanted to walk around the floor a little. she was just kind of hung out in the water no poop. I gave her breakfast she hasn't eaten , I was hopping she would eat.
It might take a few days of warmer temperatures for her to come around.

I would not put the tortoise on the floor. Its colder down there, and there are many safety risks. Keep her in her warm enclosure, or her outdoor enclosure on warm days.

Kim's petunia

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palmbay FL
It might take a few days of warmer temperatures for her to come around.

I would not put the tortoise on the floor. Its colder down there, and there are many safety risks. Keep her in her warm enclosure, or her outdoor enclosure on warm days.
Some little tortoise, is eatting. I gave her something cactus ,flower from a hibiscus. Romain lettuce some soaked tortoise food, and a squash leaf. Thank you so much for your time, I hope we are on a better road.