Is this lighting okay??

HughSokolski

Location (City and/or State)
Waterford
Hi everyone! This is my russian tortoise’s temporary enclosure until we finish building her new wooden one and I was just wondering if this 20” reptisun UVB light is enough for her to get the needed calcium she needs from it?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!4952FA27-FB19-426C-9148-416D394B55C8.jpeg

turtlebean

Connecticut
hey there! if you haven’t already you should check out the care sheet for russian torts. the substrate you have looks a little questionable as well as the size of your enclosure but this will answer any question you have and more :)

hope this helps!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi everyone! This is my russian tortoise’s temporary enclosure until we finish building her new wooden one and I was just wondering if this 20” reptisun UVB light is enough for her to get the needed calcium she needs from it?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!
Only a UV meter can answer this question. What type of tube is it? Old style T8 or the newer HO T5 type? If its the T8, there will be no UV benefit to the tortoise at that distance.

HughSokolski

Waterford
Only a UV meter can answer this question. What type of tube is it? Old style T8 or the newer HO T5 type? If its the T8, there will be no UV benefit to the tortoise at that distance.
It is a reptisun T8, do you think this would be better? Again, it is just a temporary enclosure until her new 8x3 is done being built. 1600701775313.png

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It is a reptisun T8, do you think this would be better? Again, it is just a temporary enclosure until her new 8x3 is done being built.
Unfortunately, no. The light needs to come from overhead, not from the side. You could hang it from the top with some bailing wire or hay string from inside. It might not look pretty, but it will hold it. The T8 needs to be about 10 inches away from the tortoise.

I also would not use hay in the substrate. Russians don't eat it and it molds easily.