Is this light too close?

Domm

Location (City and/or State)
PA
But it’s still ok if I use the heater right ? I can’t blast the heat in the summer to meet 70 or I’ll melt in a sauna in here lol

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
yes, too cold is a definite death sentence so dont let "perfect" get in the way of good. keep that baby warm

Domm

PA
He arrived ! He wouldn’t eat though and buried himself so far I can’t see him . Is that normal for a baby

Attachments

• A04F8227-081E-4793-92F4-68D9F8AB5502.jpeg
    A04F8227-081E-4793-92F4-68D9F8AB5502.jpeg
    984.4 KB · Views: 6

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
great looking baby, he will hide while he gets used to his new surroundings. in the wild, if they don't hide, they are lunch. Where did you get him from?

Domm

PA
That makes sense he is probably scared too . I got him from Tort Stork , the breeder is amazing and his hatchlings are so healthy and well started . I strongly recommend

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
I "lost" my hatchling a few times in the beginning. I would tear up his enclosure looking for him. It was like having another child. It took me some time to calm down and let him live peacefully.

I've heard nothing but good things about Tort Stork. I want to order a tort egg from him and watch it hatch.

Domm

PA
I "lost" my hatchling a few times in the beginning. I would tear up his enclosure looking for him. It was like having another child. It took me some time to calm down and let him live peacefully.

I've heard nothing but good things about Tort Stork. I want to order a tort egg from him and watch it hatch.

Did your hatchling eventually come out and be more friendly ? Yea his basking spot is 95 and he walked away to burry . I am freaking out because people got in my head how fragile hatchlings are so it’s like my whole day making sure evrhthing is good lol . And you should that would be amazing to watch the egg hatch

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
oh yeah, once he gets acclimated he will come out more and more. I wouldn't say hes become more friendly but he seems to tolerate me intrusions into his enclosure better. He will eat from hand and occasionally let me pet his head.

They are fragile but not that fragile. keep him warm, fed, and hydrated. Soakings are really important for hatchlings. prevents pyramiding and keeps everything inside the shell working properly.

Domm

PA
Yes I soaked him when I first got him I had to keep changing the water it got cold . I also got this heater you guys recommended . So tonight hopefully it raises the temp ... his basking it around 95-100 the rest is 84 then he has a 75ish side not that it matter because he dug so deep lol

Attachments

• B2C133FF-8934-4889-80F1-39D66FB719F5.jpeg
    B2C133FF-8934-4889-80F1-39D66FB719F5.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
Okay I will do that, the breeder said only leave the UVB tube on for an hour a day, but then the only other light I have is a basking light . Is this correct , I feel like the hatchling would only have light near the basking area then ?
I'm going to try and get a meter here pretty soon I'll let you know how the T5 reads