Is this light suitable?

j_caouette

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1496985101.927362.jpgi heard of those uvb coil bulbs not being good for tortoise causing them to be blind, but would this one be suitable in a 4x4 enclosure?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I would not use one of those.

Looks like you have RF tortoises? I'd use a long tube type florescent light for those.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Depending on the set up, the small compact bulbs may be ineffective.

As far as dangerous, I have now tested just shy of 200 used bulbs and a couple dozen new ones. NONE produced anywhere near dangerous levels of RF radiation or UV light.

Still hunting for that dangerous bulb...

j_caouette

Thanks everyone for the responses, I'm just going to go with the the MVB bulb instead like how @Careym13 stated above in my new enclosure With a CHE:)

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Thanks everyone for the responses, I'm just going to go with the the MVB bulb instead like how @Careym13 stated above in my new enclosure With a CHE:)
An MVB will just contribute to drying your tort out and cause it to pyramid.
Use your CHE on a thermostat 24/7 along with a flourescent uvb tube on a timer, leave it on 12hrs over the food area. One about 14" long will do, you don't have to light the entire enclosure up, you will see more activity if the entire enclosure is not lit up.

Reactions: Tom

j_caouette

An MVB will just contribute to drying your tort out and cause it to pyramid.
Use your CHE on a thermostat 24/7 along with a flourescent uvb tube on a timer, leave it on 12hrs over the food area. One about 14" long will do, you don't have to light the entire enclosure up, you will see more activity if the entire enclosure is not lit up.
Sounds like a better plan! Thank you