Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Looks fine but way overpriced.

I use this brand:

If you call them, they will get you in contact with a vendor near you. Some of them will even bring it to you.

Crush da Baum

Brooksville

I use this brand:

If you call them, they will get you in contact with a vendor near you. Some of them will even bring it to you.
Wow, thanks! I was originally going to buy that because it seemed cheap. Some of that reptile eco earth stuff gets expensive especially for a large indoor enclosure.

CelticPenguin85

Kissimmee, FL

I use this brand:

Which would you recommend for an outdoor enclosure for an Eastern Box Turtle? Chopped, ground or small chips with fibers? Thank you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Which would you recommend for an outdoor enclosure for an Eastern Box Turtle? Chopped, ground or small chips with fibers? Thank you.
Outdoors I'd use whatever ground the enclosure was on and a bunch of leaf litter.

If your enclosure will have a bottom, then I don't like either the coco chips or coir for this application. I don't like the chips for tortoises in general. The coir would be okay, but its too messy. Fine grade orchid bark, or cypress mulch will work better if you must have a substrate.

CelticPenguin85

Kissimmee, FL
Outdoors I'd use whatever ground the enclosure was on and a bunch of leaf litter.

If your enclosure will have a bottom, then I don't like either the coco chips or coir for this application. I don't like the chips for tortoises in general. The coir would be okay, but its too messy. Fine grade orchid bark, or cypress mulch will work better if you must have a substrate.
I'm putting the enclosure on my porch so I'll need some kind of substrate in the tank/pool/whatever I end up using. What is it about the coconut substrate you don't like?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm putting the enclosure on my porch so I'll need some kind of substrate in the tank/pool/whatever I end up using. What is it about the coconut substrate you don't like?
The chips don't offer good footing and I worry about them swallowing a chunk. Not many people use it for tortoises, so I don't know how much of a danger this is, or isn't. The coir is okay, ut its messy.