Is this Forsythia and is it safe?

OkAdiza

Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
I’m wondering if the yellow plant is Forsythia and if that’s safe for my Hermann’s? Also, anyone know what the other plant is?
Thank you

Attachments

• 1733D197-D6DE-48F2-B761-4893E6514FE4.jpeg
    1733D197-D6DE-48F2-B761-4893E6514FE4.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 9
  • A98D552A-32E4-48C6-BC5C-9A0B949CEBBD.jpeg
    A98D552A-32E4-48C6-BC5C-9A0B949CEBBD.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 7

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
The yellow one is 100% forsythia.

From the UK Tort Table...

• Common Name: Forsythia
  • Latin Name: Forsythia spp.
  • Family Name: Oleaceae
Most species of Forsythia are considered to be non-toxic, so you can feed the flowers and leaves in moderation.

However, the leaves of Forsythia suspensa contain the glycoside phillyrin, and because we do not know the potency of this glycoside, we advise that if you have a Forsythia suspensa plant then you should feed only the flowers until further information becomes available.

Im not exactly sure what the one on the right is with the white flowers. Looks like it’s right there with your forsythia...I’ll do some digging about & see what i can come up with.

Last edited:

OkAdiza

Tortoise Club
Virginia
The yellow one is 100% forsythia.

From the UK Tort Table...

• Common Name: Forsythia
  • Latin Name: Forsythia spp.
  • Family Name: Oleaceae
Most species of Forsythia are considered to be non-toxic, so you can feed the flowers and leaves in moderation.

However, the leaves of Forsythia suspensa contain the glycoside phillyrin, and because we do not know the potency of this glycoside, we advise that if you have a Forsythia suspensa plant then you should feed only the flowers until further information becomes available.

Im not exactly sure what the one on the right is with the white flowers. Looks like it’s right there with your forsythia...
Ok, I thought they were. They started blooming a bit earlier than usual. The other plants are right around them. No idea what hey are but they only started showing up a year or two ago so I feel like they are some strange weed.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Oh ok. Are those safe?

From TheTortoiseTable..❌❌❌
  • Common Name: Hellebore (Christmas Rose)
  • Latin Name: Helleborus spp.
  • Family Name: Liliaceae (Ranunculaceae)
All parts are toxic containing high amounts of ranunculin which can cause ulceration of the mouth and throat.

OkAdiza

Tortoise Club
Virginia
From TheTortoiseTable..❌❌❌
  • Common Name: Hellebore (Christmas Rose)
  • Latin Name: Helleborus spp.
  • Family Name: Liliaceae (Ranunculaceae)
All parts are toxic containing high amounts of ranunculin which can cause ulceration of the mouth and throat.
Oh dear, ok. Thanks so much.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Oh dear, ok. Thanks so much.

Sure, no problem. Although created by UK tortoise keepers, you will find most plants in here that you come across. They are a bit “conservative” regarding what NOT to feed, but, it’s a good place to start. There are so many other good things available, why risk your tort’s life.

The table - https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/