Is this big enough to use for a while?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NudistApple

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pittsburgh, PA
Hallo all!
My name is Alexis, I've just joined, but I have put quite a lot of hours in reading here. I love this forum. (-:

I do not have a tortoise, but I've been researching Leopard's for a few years, in anticipation of getting one, and I'm curious about something.

I have a Double Ferret Nation for my rats, but as I am down to only four now, I've moved them to just the top.

I have cement mixing bins that fit just right in the bottom (for bedding) that measure 36"L x 25"W. Provided I could figure out a way to maintain proper humidity and temperature, do you guys think this would be a sufficient size for a while for a tort?
I am well aware that my eventual-friend will need something much larger as an adult, but I'm curious (if at all) how long something this size could hold a leopard tort?

Don't be afraid to tell me no! I'm okay will skipping it altogether, especially as I do not even have a tortoise, but I hate to see cage space go to waste, and thought it would be nice way to fill the bottom.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Alexis:

Welcome to the Tortoise forum!!

May we know where you are?

Yes, a cement mixing tub will fit a baby leopard for a couple years. That gives you plenty of time to plan the next habitat.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The mixing tubs would be fine. However if you are placing them in the bottom of a two level cage with your rats above the tort., I would maybe reconsider. Unless of course nothing from the rats could drop down into the torts cage. Also make sure the temp and humidity will not harm your rats. I have had a couple pet rats, great pets:D

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
Think your question has been answered, sounds like a solid plan. Just wanted to say I love your name, it's adorable :)

NudistApple

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh, PA
Thank you for all of your replies!

emysemys: I currently live in New Jersey, but I am graduating college at the end of the next fall semester, and unless something goes horrifically wrong (fingers crossed!) I should be relocating to the Pittsburgh, PA area shortly there-after. I'm relieved to hear that the bin is large enough, I thought it might be, but I would hate to do wrongly by any animal. I know there is a very high chance of ignorance-induced deaths for first time owners, and I am determined to not fall into those numbers.

wellington: No chance anything will fall through at all. Aside from the high-sided cement mixing bins, there is a full level underneath them separating the two cages, and I use a scatter guard. I agree about rats being great pets. I've kept them for the better part of the last decade, and foster/adoption counsel for small animal rescue called Mainely Rat Rescue. (-: If the temp/humidity proves to be an issue for them I can either switch them to the bottom, or fully split the cage in half. It would just be convenient to leave it as is!

Shadowrancher: Thank you, I've been using a variant of this for all forums/games for quite some time now. I am very fond of it.

CtTortoiseMom: Hello to you! Thank you for the welcome.

I'm sure there was a way to actually "quote" responses, as in other forums, but I'm in a bit of rush this morning, so you will all have to forgive my ghetto hashjob!

thecrawlingchaos

10 Year Member!
I'm using the same size tray for my baby pardalis. I was using a much larger baby pool, but Munchie (the tort) wasn't using any of it, save the slab of sandstone I use for a basking spot and the humidity chamber. It's still plenty big and was much easier to set up an extra flourescent fixture over. I even planted some graze seed in the bin when I made the switch and now have some flourishing edible clover for an anytime snack. He seems to really love it. I even set up another container with a grow light to grow extra grass for him. Very happy with the way it's all coming together. Good luck!

lisalove

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I'm using the same cement tub for my 15 month old, 4 1/2" sulcata and it works great. I'll use it for another year or so. My outdoor enclosure is much larger.

NudistApple

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm so relieved to hear that other people have used/use these for their young torts.
It gives me hope that I will be able to get the temp/humidity right with it!

Like thecrawlingchaos I am planning to have mine planted with some grass/flower seed so that
the little thing will have some fresh food to graze on at all times. I think I already have a good idea
in my head of how I will have the whole thing set up, I just need to finish buying all of the things and
give it a test run.

I don't want to start too early though! I still don't even know if I will be getting a leo this year or not.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Echoing what others have said, that should be a good size for at least 2 - 3 years for a single tortoise. I use them for some of mine. As far as maintaining humidity, I would recommend using an upside down plastic shoe box.

NudistApple

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh, PA
Neal said:
Echoing what others have said, that should be a good size for at least 2 - 3 years for a single tortoise. I use them for some of mine. As far as maintaining humidity, I would recommend using an upside down plastic shoe box.

Hello again everyone! I haven't posted, but I've been here reading everyday.

I have begun to get nervous about being able to properly maintain humidity in the cement mixing bin, and the only solution I could come up with was to plexiglass the walls in the cage. I do not have anything against doing this, but I realized that I might as well just use a large tank if I'm essentially going to be turning the bin into one.

On that note (and the reason I am just ressurecting my thread as opposed to making a new one) how long do you think a 75 gallon terrarium would be sufficient for? I'm assuming the 2-3 years suggested for the bin will not hold true, or will it because the tank has such a large footprint? I just really don't want to shoot myself in the foot by getting this massive tank into my condo and then not being able to use it for long! ;)

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
The 75 gallon is a pretty good size. I would say that would be sufficient until the tortoise is 4 inches or so, based on my experience. That should get you about 2 years depending on how fast the tortoise grows.

I would recommend just using the plastic tub with a plastic shoebox as a humid hide. The entire enclosure doesn't need to maintain high humidity levels to prevent pyramiding. But if you want to go the high humidity route all over your enclosure, the cement tub is going to be a lot more difficult than the tank I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.