Is this a real species

Turtle girl 98

Location (City and/or State)
Sandstone mn
Screenshot_20190917-115923.jpeg I came across this image and it's so beautiful I was wondering if it was a real turtle or is it a painting? If it is real does anyone know what species ? I don't have the reverse picture search for Google.. Screenshot_20190917-115923.jpeg

Screenshot_20190917-115923.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Your screenshot isn't working???

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Cripes! Now I can see your original picture. I guess from now on I shouldn't be so quick to assume it's the picture and not the forum or my computer. Yes, that's a real species. I think it's a young river cooter.

Turtle girl 98

Sandstone mn
Cripes! Now I can see your original picture. I guess from now on I shouldn't be so quick to assume it's the picture and not the forum or my computer. Yes, that's a real species. I think it's a young river cooter.
Good I still cannot see the picture so I'm glad it came through. Wow can't believe it is real, I thought it was a painting. Thank yo you Yvonne! Very beautiful turtle

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you like that one, you may also like this one:

5c1492f4bae6bf0596ad4debc4a5c8a8.jpg

Indian peacock softshell turtle

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Most of those really colorful species lose that pretty pattern as they age. I love softshell turtles, and I'd love to have one of those, however, I think it's too cold here for them.

aqualungs

Perry, OH
Saw a babie softshell on Lake Erie shore here in Northeast Ohio yesterday. Very cool and cute. I thought he may have been injured. My brother touched him and he scrambled into the lake. He was fast!

Turtle girl 98

Sandstone mn
Most of those really colorful species lose that pretty pattern as they age. I love softshell turtles, and I'd love to have one of those, however, I think it's too cold here for them.
I didn't know they lost color as they age, it makes sense. When they age do the colors usually fade or change into a duller color? Softshelled turtles are by far my favorite species. I would love to have one someday, the Indian peakcock softshell would be an amazing addition, but you're right it is probably to cold, as they're from Asia right? I saw that they are vulnerable, do you think there is a captive group of them? Do you have any species of softshells Yvonne? I heard they are aggressive?

Turtle girl 98

Sandstone mn
Saw a babie softshell on Lake Erie shore here in Northeast Ohio yesterday. Very cool and cute. I thought he may have been injured. My brother touched him and he scrambled into the lake. He was fast!
Oh my how cool! I have never ever seen one in my 21 years lol. I am always looking for them while I'm at the rivers and such. Next year I want to go canoeing down the river to see if there are any sunbathing.

aqualungs

Perry, OH
Right! I usually see painted turtles. When I was 17 I found 2 Red Efts crawling in the grass. So cool when we come upon these rare moments!

Turtle girl 98

Sandstone mn
Right! I usually see painted turtles. When I was 17 I found 2 Red Efts crawling in the grass. So cool when we come upon these rare moments!
Oh that is so cool! I don't see many turtles out and about here unless it's nesting season. Or sunbathing on logs in the river. This year I saw alot of turtles actually. Maybe I was paying more attention than normal lol. I love turtle watching [emoji7]

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I didn't know they lost color as they age, it makes sense. When they age do the colors usually fade or change into a duller color? Softshelled turtles are by far my favorite species. I would love to have one someday, the Indian peakcock softshell would be an amazing addition, but you're right it is probably to cold, as they're from Asia right? I saw that they are vulnerable, do you think there is a captive group of them? Do you have any species of softshells Yvonne? I heard they are aggressive?
I have 1.1.0 Florida softshells. The other day I was just standing there after I had tossed a bunch of floating pellets onto the pond, and trying to count what I have in there. . . 4 or 5 female RES, an Argentine sideneck, two or three pond turtles, a male and a female Florida softshell and. . . WHAT????? I thought I saw a tiny softshell nose above the water. Since that sighting, I've spotted him a couple more times. Yup, a baby softshell! They're really no more aggressive than most other water turtles. Yes, they bite, so you have to be careful how you hold them, but the sideneck is real aggressive towards the other turtles in the pond and the softshells are not. That reminds me - this past Spring I saw the female Florida softshell digging a nest. Now that it's September I have to go out there and take a look to see if the eggs are hatching.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I have 1.1.0 Florida softshells. The other day I was just standing there after I had tossed a bunch of floating pellets onto the pond, and trying to count what I have in there. . . 4 or 5 female RES, an Argentine sideneck, two or three pond turtles, a male and a female Florida softshell and. . . WHAT????? I thought I saw a tiny softshell nose above the water. Since that sighting, I've spotted him a couple more times. Yup, a baby softshell! They're really no more aggressive than most other water turtles. Yes, they bite, so you have to be careful how you hold them, but the sideneck is real aggressive towards the other turtles in the pond and the softshells are not. That reminds me - this past Spring I saw the female Florida softshell digging a nest. Now that it's September I have to go out there and take a look to see if the eggs are hatching.
The softshells are cool. When they surface for air they look like alligators.

Turtle girl 98

Sandstone mn
Oh my goodness! How cool! A baby softshell [emoji7] the 1.1.0 just means the ratio of males to females right? I don't know where I heard that the softshells were very aggressive.. (probably somewhere in passing). I'm going to look up an Argentine sideneck. Curious to what they look like. That is just so cool that you saw it's nose poking up [emoji3526] I hope the nest is emerging so you can see the babies [emoji3526] I'm not sure why but Im biased to water turtles.. how big of a pond do you have Yvonne?