Is this a good tortoise enclosure? What to add or remove

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I don't trust the clamp part of your light fixture. Hanging the lights is much safer.
The cardboard hiding places can't stand up to the moisture required in your substrate. I've used plastic dish pans with a door cut in.

The light on the right looks awfully close to the floor. It shouldn't be closer than 12" from the TORTOISE'S back.

I think the enclosure is a bit small for a full size russian. We recommend at least 4' x 8'

daniellakatie12

Syracuse NY
I don't trust the clamp part of your light fixture. Hanging the lights is much safer.
The cardboard hiding places can't stand up to the moisture required in your substrate. I've used plastic dish pans with a door cut in.

The light on the right looks awfully close to the floor. It shouldn't be closer than 12" from the TORTOISE'S back.

I think the enclosure is a bit small for a full size russian. We recommend at least 4' x 8'
Thanks so much for your help!
Is that four feet length by 8 feet width?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Any help would be appreciated!
I agree with Yvonne's assessment:
  • Its too small.
  • Its too dry.
  • Needs a hide that can hold humidity and not rot.
  • What is in the two light hood? If the one is a cfl type UV bulb, you shouldn't use those. They sometimes burn the tortoises eyes, and they are ineffective as UV sources.
  • Those clamps always fail and cannot be trusted.

daniellakatie12

Syracuse NY
  • Its too small.
  • Its too dry.
  • What is in the two light hood? If the one is a cfl type UV bulb, you shouldn't use those. They sometimes burn the tortoises eyes, and they are ineffective as UV sources.
Would this be better?

Attachments

• 0768301D-CFF1-4769-A02B-E3611305B53C.jpeg
    0768301D-CFF1-4769-A02B-E3611305B53C.jpeg
    6.5 KB · Views: 1

daniellakatie12

Syracuse NY
  • Its too small.
  • Its too dry.

What can I do to make it moist? Do I use a spray bottle for the humidity. And what kind of light fixtures are best? It is a ZOOMED UVB bulb and the other is a 75 watt heat lamp

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What can I do to make it moist? Do I use a spray bottle for the humidity. And what kind of light fixtures are best? It is a ZOOMED UVB bulb and the other is a 75 watt heat lamp
Your fixtures are fine, but the cfl type screw in bulbs are not effective as UV sources, and some of them burn tortoise eyes. You need a tube type bulb for UV, in addition to the basking bulb.

Spraying the surface doesn't do anything. You need a much thicker layer of substrate and you need to dump water into it. How much water and how often varies with each enclosure, and you'll have to make your adjustments by feel.