Is there such thing as a Sulcata being outside too long?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjr153

5 Year Member
My Sulcata is 15-16 months old. It loves going outside. I have a kiddie pool on the back porch that I've grown grass in. I think it is still too small to put in the yard. The past week I've left the Tort out there ALL DAY. From the time I wake up until I go to bed. There are shaded spots and the terra cotta dish of water. Is this young of a Sulcata in any danger being left out this long? Ex: Over heating, etc.

mctlong

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SF Valley, SoCal
I'd say that is a very lucky tortoise. As long as he has hides, shady spots and plenty of water, being outside all day is ideal.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using TortForum mobile app

kjr153

5 Year Member
Yay, thanks for the fast reply. Out it goes! I know this sounds dumb but I seriously think it wants to go outside. Before I even go turn it's light on, it is already pacing back and fourth. Think it's trying to tell me to take it out. :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Don't quote me on this, but I'm thinking I've read that Tom has babies even younger than yours outside all day long.

L82lalaland

5 Year Member
Lakeside, California
kjr153 said:
Yay, thanks for the fast reply. Out it goes! I know this sounds dumb but I seriously think it wants to go outside. Before I even go turn it's light on, it is already pacing back and fourth. Think it's trying to tell me to take it out. :)

I totally understand that. Mine listen for me to come downstairs then sit in their food dish scratching at the glass until I fill it up. They have me trained very well. Before coffee feed tortoise's

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
To answer your question: YES!!!

There are many factors to consider here though and I have some general opinions I will share.

1. Your climate, weather, season and temps matter here. Yes, they CAN over heat, especially in an above ground kiddie pool. Be careful. They need deep shade from well above the top of the enclosure on hot summer days. Like from an umbrella or tree. Flowerpots or boards resting on the enclosure will heat up like an oven. When in doubt, bring your tortoise inside. Use a temp gun early and often to check temps. Leave a wireless remote thermometer probe where the tortoise might sit and watch the temps. It would be far better to have an enclosure built so the tortoise is actually on the ground. The earth resists temperature change better than some substrate above ground in a kiddie pool.
2. There is no benefit or need for a hatchling to be out all day. In a dry climate it is actually detrimental in my opinion. Remember that sulcatas hatch into the african rainy season. Its hot, humid, wet, rainy, marshy, and there is food everywhere. Does this sound like your climate? Its certainly not like mine. My hatchlings are only out for about an hour a day. This is PLENTY of time for them to get lots of UV. They can survive outdoors all day, but they thrive if they are kept indoors, in the correct conditions most of the time. Indoors they have the right temps, humidity and everything they need to grow big, strong and healthy. As they gain size I leave them out longer and longer. By the time they are 4-5" (usually 6 months or so), I'm leaving them out 3-5 hours a day, weather permitting. Once they hit about 6" I'll leave them out all day, but bring them in at night. Around 8-10" they move outside full time, but have heated shelters to retreat to.
3. Often the problem is that people have tiny enclosures indoors. Mine are 4x8'. My outdoor planter boxes where I sun my young torts are also 4x8'. Obviously we can give them more space outside, but everyone should do their best to offer a large enclosure inside too.

What size is yours? At 15 months it could be anywhere from 2"-16". This makes a big difference on the advice I would offer. It's all about size not age.

Urtle

5 Year Member
Tom, is there a way to increase the humidity in your outdoor enclosures?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sure. Misters, sprinklers, more bushes, more grass vs. dirt, more shade. Flood irrigation, like they do in AZ works too, but dry air outside is still dry air outside. Whenever I try to grow them outside I see the same results. See it when others do it too. The more time a hatchling spends outdoors in a dry climate, the more of an effect it has on them. Even in humid areas, hatchling tortoises housed outside grow slower than indoor tortoises. It doesn't appear to be temp or humidity related. My best guess is that its a variety of factors, including some behavioral ones.

omgdoubletacos

10 Year Member!
I guess I can count myself lucky on humidity! I live in SE Georgia where the humidity is around 80-100% almost every day. I was always so worried about my baby getting pyramided because I kept forgetting to soak him when I was busy with work. But so far he ( I say he, still too small to tell) is doing great!

Urtle

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Sure. Misters, sprinklers, more bushes, more grass vs. dirt, more shade. Flood irrigation, like they do in AZ works too, but dry air outside is still dry air outside. Whenever I try to grow them outside I see the same results. See it when others do it too. The more time a hatchling spends outdoors in a dry climate, the more of an effect it has on them. Even in humid areas, hatchling tortoises housed outside grow slower than indoor tortoises. It doesn't appear to be temp or humidity related. My best guess is that its a variety of factors, including some behavioral ones.

Very interesting speculation. I have noticed this myself. My tortoise grows much better in her indoor enclosure rather than being outside. Maybe its the excessive exercise and burning of extra calories? I have noticed that putting them outside for shorter durations once in a while is better than long ones everyday as far as growth related.

Status
Not open for further replies.