Is there such a thing as too much growth in hatchling?

Crzt4torts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northeastern US
So I have 3 Russian hatchlings, now about 9 weeks old. (8 days between 1st and last hatch date).
Feeding weeds, especially dandelion greens ,strawberry leaves, spring mix, cactus pads, radicchio moistened TRex Tortoise Dry Formula pellets (moistened).
Pellets used mixed in no more than 3 times per week.

All 3 are active and healthy looking, bright clear eyes, no sign of problem. No evidence of bullying, all 3 enthusiastic eaters.

But 1 of the 3 is gaining significantly faster than the other 2.

1- birth weight 17 gms current weight 42 gms 3/3 hatch
2- birth weight 15 gms current weight 31 gms 3/6 hatch
3- birth weight 17 gms current weight 31 gms 3/11 hatch

I am assuming the difference in growth rate may just be individual norms.
Just putting this out there in case anyone feels there may be a problem with any of this...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
All seems okay to me. As long as they have damp substrate and a humid hide, get regular soaks, get enough calcium and nutrients, have a good UV source (preferably sunshine when possible), have a high fiber weedy diet, then I don't worry about growth rate. I recently raised up 20 russian hatchlings, growth rates varied a lot.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
The variation in weight is minute. A range of 11 grammes is nothing - the weight of a large pee or poop.

Try not to get too hung up on weighing - you can do it too frequently.

Fortnightly at most, monthly is fine. Try to do it at the same time of day each time. I like to do it straight after a morning soak.

Just keep an eye on them to see if you have a bully hogging all the food.

Crzt4torts

5 Year Member
Northeastern US
All seems okay to me. As long as they have damp substrate and a humid hide, get regular soaks, get enough calcium and nutrients, have a good UV source (preferably sunshine when possible), have a high fiber weedy diet, then I don't worry about growth rate. I recently raised up 20 russian hatchlings, growth rates varied a lot.
Thanks to this forum, and several excellent articles on care and housing,they have all you mentioned. Reassuring to hear you saw varied growth rates. Thank you!

Crzt4torts

5 Year Member
Northeastern US
The variation in weight is minute. A range of 11 grammes is nothing - the weight of a large pee or poop.

Try not to get too hung up on weighing - you can do it too frequently.

Fortnightly at most, monthly is fine. Try to do it at the same time of day each time. I like to do it straight after a morning soak.

Just keep an eye on them to see if you have a bully hogging all the food.
Will do. I actually have 2 areas for food in hopes if 1 feels too much competition they can move to other location,