is there difference in cypress and cypress mulch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasso2

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
hello! man i got a dumb but simple question. cypress mulch is the one they sell at loews/home depot is extremely dirty like pain dirt with little pieces of cypress so it that ok? same one right guys? this video is what i mean the cypress mulch looks more like dirt at home depot. input please http://youtube.com/watch?v=Pn9Pbw5QGgE&feature=related

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
The mulch in the video is very similar to what I use for my RFs (a finer grade). It should hold moisture well. The cypress mulch I got from Walmart is a courser grade (I use this grade with my Blue Tongues) and would be good with the larger tort.

Chucky

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
S. Oregon
It's real hard for me to find any Cypress at all around here. If I do find any, it's usually got additives or coloring in it for landscaping. I wish there was something else because it gets really
expensive ordering online and paying for shipping especially when it's like 30lbs to 40lbs.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Chucky, what do they use for mulch in the Great Nortwest besides cedar and redwood ?

Chucky

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
S. Oregon
You just named them. Like I said, they do use a cypress mulch but it has coloring and fertilizer added to it and some even have insecticide.

I can get Cypress mulch at PetSmart in the small bags but it takes about 2 bags at a time to fill up the enclosure. That's about $20 everytime I change it. If I order it online, I can get the 4 cubic ft. of it for around $45 delivered which will last about a year so I guess that's not too bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.