Is there a way to change him being aggressive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

doubletorts

5 Year Member
My 2 year old Sulcata tries to ram me when I put my hand inside his enclosure. It seems like recently it has gotten worse. He will tuck his head in and run a little then he throws himself down in front of my hand. Now, I understand this happens sometimes, but is there any way to change this? Because when he becomes 100+ lbs, this is REALLY going to hurt. Lol.

dav3

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Scotland
lol loved the ending:), maybe he might just be seeing the tank as his territory then again it might just be his//her personality, grumpy tortoises are funny( Love them). if it dosnt get better im sure we will all hear gr8 storys about your tortoise

doubletorts

5 Year Member
dav3 said:
lol loved the ending:), maybe he might just be seeing the tank as his territory then again it might just be his//her personality, grumpy tortoises are funny( Love them). if it dosnt get better im sure we will all hear gr8 storys about your tortoise

Always thinking ahead when it comes to them ;) I'm just hoping to possibly stop it or at least control it to the best of my ability. I've heard stories of people being rammed by their adult and I'm sure it hurts, and bruises are never pretty.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Most of the time they only do this when you put your hand right in front of them. Its almost a startle or defensive response. Does your tortoise run all the way across the enclosure to "get" you? If you try some hand feeding from some distance and just leave your hand still, I bet you will see a change. Your hand will have a positive association instead of the current negative one as a predator or territorial interloper. Just put your hand around 12" away or so at first, not right in front of him.

doubletorts

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Most of the time they only do this when you put your hand right in front of them. Its almost a startle or defensive response. Does your tortoise run all the way across the enclosure to "get" you? If you try some hand feeding from some distance and just leave your hand still, I bet you will see a change. Your hand will have a positive association instead of the current negative one as a predator or territorial interloper. Just put your hand around 12" away or so at first, not right in front of him.

He doesn't go from the other end of the bed, but sometimes at least 1 foot or so away. I'm kinda afraid that he will bit me by accident.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Use long food items. When I let kids hand feed my adults I use a whole leaf of romaine or something similar. The kids hold it by the stalk end and the tort takes bites from the far end.

I wouldn't try to hand feed mine a pea.

doubletorts

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Use long food items. When I let kids hand feed my adults I use a whole leaf of romaine or something similar. The kids hold it by the stalk end and the tort takes bites from the far end.

I wouldn't try to hand feed mine a pea.

Oh, ok. I was thinking out the palm of my hand. lol But holding the food works.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Try it and let us know. If yours is just a real bruiser, and you don't like that, you can send him to me. I dig a tortoise with some "personality". :D

doubletorts

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Try it and let us know. If yours is just a real bruiser, and you don't like that, you can send him to me. I dig a tortoise with some "personality". :D

I will definitely try it soon, thanks! And see, as much as I would love to correct this I could never give up my tortoises unless I absolutely had no choice. But I'm sure, you would be my first choice. lol

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
When Joe's in that mood... and that's most of the summer... he'll charge from the other end of the garden. I have one of the children distracting him when I mow the lawn.

He's only 7lb full grown. I appreciate your problem, but stopping it...

wildponey21

5 Year Member
i am new to sulcatas myself i have tohat i have had for 1 mounth. Mine are only 106 grams and 70 grams. mine still run the other way when i go to pick them up. well anyway i have say just show him that your not going to hurt him. Try holding him peting and touch his feet and legs. if that does not work food is the only wat to get one to like you. if that does not work. You get invest in a suit of armer for when he is big

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
wildponey21 said:
i am new to sulcatas myself i have tohat i have had for 1 mounth. Mine are only 106 grams and 70 grams. mine still run the other way when i go to pick them up. well anyway i have say just show him that your not going to hurt him. Try holding him peting and touch his feet and legs. if that does not work food is the only wat to get one to like you. if that does not work. You get invest in a suit of armer for when he is big
It's little to do with bad temper and more to do with territory and being a male strutting his stuff! He's perfectly friendly when his mind isn't on s e x :D

As for the armour... it's mostly needed at ankle height. When you're caught unawares by plastron on ankle bone it :censored: hurts!

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Does your tortoise get any outside time? I have a Hermanns who does that but if I give hime some outside time he isn't so agressive when he goes back into his enclosure. He has calmed down a lot but still is agressive just not as bad...

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Joe is a garden tortoise. Outside 100% apart from this winter! He owns the garden. Like I said, it's not aggression just male hormones. He's a sweetie when he's not thinking about the other sex... and in summer he does that a lot :rolleyes:

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
JoesMum said:
Joe is a garden tortoise. Outside 100% apart from this winter! He owns the garden. Like I said, it's not aggression just male hormones. He's a sweetie when he's not thinking about the other sex... and in summer he does that a lot :rolleyes:

I was replying to the OP and the issue with the raming sulcata.

You seem to have figured Joe out already..

doubletorts

5 Year Member
JoesMum said:
When Joe's in that mood... and that's most of the summer... he'll charge from the other end of the garden. I have one of the children distracting him when I mow the lawn.

He's only 7lb full grown. I appreciate your problem, but stopping it...

Ha, yeah the stopping part I would like to find out. :)

wildponey21 said:

I try petting him as often as he will let me, but I will go to the store today to get some more greens and hold it out and try hand feeding him. And yeah, I'm afraid suit of armor may be in my future. lol

dalano73 said:
Does your tortoise get any outside time? I have a Hermanns who does that but if I give hime some outside time he isn't so agressive when he goes back into his enclosure. He has calmed down a lot but still is agressive just not as bad...

He does, but right now they are inside because it's alittle cold outside when I'm able to take him out.

JoesMum said:

Well mines still a little too young to tell if it's a male or a female, however by the looks of their shells in comparison to each other, they look completely opposite. Keep your fingers crossed??!

Status
Not open for further replies.