is the Zoo Med Tortoise House a Portable and Suitable Hermann's tortoise enclosure?

MangoLanain15

Location (City and/or State)
Houston
Just as the title says i'm looking to get a hermann's tortoise in the next year and i'm currently considering buying a used zoo med tortoise house for the first few years but i honestly need some help deciding the best enclosure to fit these needs

1: An adult Hermann tortoise can live in it.

2: It is lightweight and easily portable

3: Has a wired top like the zoo med tortoise house does.

If you know of any enclosure that fits those needs please tell me in the replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The biggest Zoo Med Tortoise house I've seen is still only 4' long. That's not big enough for a full grown Hermanns tortoise. It would be pretty hard to impossible to find a pre manufactured tortoise enclosure for an adult tortoise.

MangoLanain15

Houston
The biggest Zoo Med Tortoise house I've seen is still only 4' long. That's not big enough for a full grown Hermanns tortoise. It would be pretty hard to impossible to find a pre manufactured tortoise enclosure for an adult tortoise.
Do you know of any designs of enclosures i can build that meet my requirements?
Also i'm gonna use the tortoise house for the first two years of the tortoise's life.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Here’s a nice guide I found a while ago.
It’s preferable that you go no smaller than 6x3 feet as a bare minimum, but I would shoot for no less than 8x4 feet.

For that specific guide, note that the dividers are completely optional, and you can just do it with two sheets of plywood. Instead of cutting the sides 15 inches tall, cut them 16 inches tall. Then just rout the sides and bottom as shown in the guide, press them together and glue/screw them in place, and you have a finished table. Then all you need to do is silicone around the edges, seal the inside(or half way up)with flex seal, dry lock, or some type of boat paint. After you do that, line the inside with a tarp where you want the substrate, I would recommend doing it at least 6-8 inches up.

Also note that the lamps should be coming straight down from a built in stand or detached one, and not clamped from the side. Clamps are extremely dangerous, and huge fire hazards. Learned that the hard way.(Curtis was named Lucky at first for a reason.)

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
As another option, try 6 foot diameter snapset kiddie pools. This one by Intex was 15$ at walmart, and I’m using it to set up an adult russian that will be here in a few days. It gives a total of 28 square feet, and can be folded up again once emptied.

image.jpg

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
As another option, try 6 foot diameter snapset kiddie pools. This one by Intex was 15$ at walmart, and I’m using it to set up an adult russian that will be here in a few days. It gives a total of 28 square feet, and can be folded up again once emptied.
this a great option if you have the floor space. Stadium seating not included!