Is the glass stressing my little guy out?

Cheryl1503

Location (City and/or State)
Lanarkshire
Hey! I’ve read loads of conflicting advice on vivarium glass stressing a tortoise as they don’t understand why they can’t get through! I’ve posted a photo of Todd climbing up the glass and I can’t decide whether or not he is distressed or just winding the dogs up! Also, he keeps falling on his back doing this ( not just climbing the glass, he does this all round his enclosure)
Ps. I’m changing his substrate tonight! I know what I have isn’t the best ☺️9CAEE109-83F2-4A7B-9AF6-F6536887C8C9.jpeg

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
The enclosure is too small, climbing and bumping the walls combined with circling the enclosure over and over are signs that the tort needs more space. Glass is just confusing, they will spend a lot of time trying to go through/over/around it, of course they want to go explore the other side, its in their nature.

Tortisedonk7

Indonesia
You need to block off the bottom few inches of the glass so he cannot see threw it. He will always be pacing and trying to get out if he can see what’s on the other side.

Cheryl1503

Lanarkshire
I have part of it closed off at the end as we had a trouble with the glass but he does the same at that end and all round the walls , I’ve only had him 5/6 days so I’m hoping he settles

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have part of it closed off at the end as we had a trouble with the glass but he does the same at that end and all round the walls , I’ve only had him 5/6 days so I’m hoping he settles
I have never had any problem using glass tanks or glass fronted closed chambers to start babies. Been doing it for decades. Vivs work much better than open tables for maintaining heat and humidity for smaller tortoises.

It sounds like your tortoise is still settling in.

You've got the wrong substrate and it may help once you get a thick layer of the right stuff that the tortoise can dig in to. This will make him feel more comfortable.

Can we get a pic of the whole enclosure? What sort of hides and cover have you got in there? Any plants or hiding areas?

What type of bulbs are you using? UV? What type of UV bulb? Some of them burn their eyes and he may be trying to escape it.

There are many reasons why the tortoise could be restless. Let's see if we can figure it out.

Cheryl1503

Lanarkshire
I have never had any problem using glass tanks or glass fronted closed chambers to start babies. Been doing it for decades. Vivs work much better than open tables for maintaining heat and humidity for smaller tortoises.

It sounds like your tortoise is still settling in.

You've got the wrong substrate and it may help once you get a thick layer of the right stuff that the tortoise can dig in to. This will make him feel more comfortable.

Can we get a pic of the whole enclosure? What sort of hides and cover have you got in there? Any plants or hiding areas?

What type of bulbs are you using? UV? What type of UV bulb? Some of them burn their eyes and he may be trying to escape it.

There are many reasons why the tortoise could be restless. Let's see if we can figure it out.
Hi Tom, I’ve just changed his substrate to coir tonight as u suggested , I’m using a bulb which I might need to change to control his warm side better again us u suggested. He has a uv strip at the top of his back wall . I’ve still to get a new water bowl for him, that’s tomorrow’s job! Trying my best to take all your knowledge and advice to do best by this wee cutie!
Also he is in an enclosure which is approx 4ft x 2ft and was advised this was ok til he is a bit bigger?
There is a digital thermometer at each end as well as the not so good stick on one on the back wall and I am doing spot check with an IR gun.B2A9CF26-B933-4B98-81AD-92A86ED480D3.png

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
The high humidity is fine for him, as long as his temps are good.

And as long as he isn't actually laying in water, the substrate is good. It will dry out a bit very quickly.