Is tem drop to 78 ok for baby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyyoung749

5 Year Member
I have a ceramic heater to heat up the whole enclosure, but today cold side dropped to about 78 for the first time. Do you think babies could handle that tem.? im kind of worried cuz i never let it dropped more than 80. im very worried right now.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
League City, TX
It depends some on how old the tort is, so how old is baby? The older they get the more they can handle colder temperatures. 78 isn't really all that cold on the cold side. As long as they have the hot side to go to, then they will usually go where it feels best to them so you don;t have to worry about that.

cyyoung749

5 Year Member
Greg T said:
It depends some on how old the tort is, so how old is baby? The older they get the more they can handle colder temperatures. 78 isn't really all that cold on the cold side. As long as they have the hot side to go to, then they will usually go where it feels best to them so you don;t have to worry about that.

I just got babies like two inches. I was worried about the tem. Because tem drops to like high 78 on cold side. The other side is like 90. Thank you!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
If you are referring to your sick tortoise I would not let that temp drop below the 80the mark especially.....I would also make sure to keep your other two new torts at the lowest of 80t as well along with the soakings each day.
How is your little sick one doing? Are you still doing the warm water daily soaks? Is he eating well? How are his eyes doing? :D

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
If you have a sick tortoise, I would recommend maintaining temps above 85 at all times. But if your tortoises are healthy then 78 degrees is definitely ok. What is the humidity like throughout the enclosure? If you maintain high humidity throughout the entire enclosure, I wouldn't let it drop below that. If you have a humid side and a dry side, the dry side should be ok with temps in the low 70's, but I wouldn't recommend temperatures below the mid to upper 70's on the humid side.

cyyoung749

5 Year Member
ascott said:
If you are referring to your sick tortoise I would not let that temp drop below the 80the mark especially.....I would also make sure to keep your other two new torts at the lowest of 80t as well along with the soakings each day.
How is your little sick one doing? Are you still doing the warm water daily soaks? Is he eating well? How are his eyes doing? :D

Ya still eating well but the eyes are not good. And i keep it not lower than 80 thanks

Neal said:
If you have a sick tortoise, I would recommend maintaining temps above 85 at all times. But if your tortoises are healthy then 78 degrees is definitely ok. What is the humidity like throughout the enclosure? If you maintain high humidity throughout the entire enclosure, I wouldn't let it drop below that. If you have a humid side and a dry side, the dry side should be ok with temps in the low 70's, but I wouldn't recommend temperatures below the mid to upper 70's on the humid side.

Oh thanks i just decide to never get lower than 80 i think thats the besy way. Thanks

pk2610

5 Year Member
Not trying to be rude... I remember you have a golden greek that was very sick and has eye problems but you could not afford to see a vet. You said you sent him to the animal shelter last time and now you said you still keep him. So what exactly is happening to the poor sick tort? It's none of my business but I just hope you don't leave it uncared.

I am happy for you for your new babies but also worried about the sick tort if it is still under your care.

cyyoung749

5 Year Member
ascott said:
can you post a pic of the little ones eyes?

Sorry for late reply u mean my lepoarftortoise?

pk2610 said:
Not trying to be rude... I remember you have a golden greek that was very sick and has eye problems but you could not afford to see a vet. You said you sent him to the animal shelter last time and now you said you still keep him. So what exactly is happening to the poor sick tort? It's none of my business but I just hope you don't leave it uncared.

I am happy for you for your new babies but also worried about the sick tort if it is still under your care.

I sent to turtle organization near ny place and they are takin care of it. They said it seems to be a respiratory problem. Im keep contacting with them and hopefully it will get better

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

No, I was referring to the little sick Greek you had, I am happy to hear you turned him over to the Rehab facility and they have the means and knowledge to assist him, that was a very kind thing to have done.

I am glad to hear your Leopards are healthy and doing well..... :D

cyyoung749

5 Year Member
ascott said:

No, I was referring to the little sick Greek you had, I am happy to hear you turned him over to the Rehab facility and they have the means and knowledge to assist him, that was a very kind thing to have done.

I am glad to hear your Leopards are healthy and doing well..... :D

My lepoards are doing really good. Eats everday climbs wooden hut overall very healthy thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.