Status
Not open for further replies.

Yourlocalpoet

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Okay so most of you know Esmerelda.

DSCF1336.jpg

Well a friend came round the other day and asked why she wasn't very 'adventurous'. She commented that she didn't utilise much of the space available to her in the garden and it made me think. I never thought it was a problem or anything just her behaviour, but now I'm wondering, should she be more curious? Should she be exploring every nook and cranny or what?

Unadventurous? Me?

2843_157893435507_858375507_6644615_6032544_n.jpg

Okay so as we have to put up with temperamental British weather she doesn't live outside. However she normally goes outside every day in the summer unless it's raining etc. She has an ample amount of space in which to roam and graze put she seems quite content to walk around in the same spot all the time.

She has a 'route' in the garden which she spends most of the time tramping about despite her having the freedom to roam wherever she likes.

This is the space in the garden which she has access to,

DSCF1365.jpg

DSCF1367.jpg

and this is where she seems to enjoy spending most of her time.

DSCF1368.jpg

DSCF1360.jpg

She walks up and down, not always the same way, she does wander off onto the patio or to the other grassy side of the garden but she only ever seems to graze in one spot and I don't get it.

DSCF1397.jpg

Look at all the lush green grass and weeds growing,

DSCF1375.jpg

then look at the spot where she grazes.

DSCF1380.jpg

The difference is quite significant.
Look what she's done to the grass as a result of her favouring this area,

DSCF1383.jpg

DSCF1399.jpg

as opposed to this where she doesn't walk.

DSCF1376.jpg

She has a paddling pool out there to bathe in and she has a dog kennel to hide out in which she never uses, she always hides out under the fuchsias.

DSCF1373.jpg

The only time she seems to wander anywhere else is if I'm out there on the grass with her then she'll walk up to me and graze, she pretty much sits on me!
I just wish I knew what was going on in that little head of hers, why doesn't she explore the garden? Is she boring? Or does she just like the security of the shed walls? Or should I just tell my friend she's fine and bugger off?
I should add she has always done this, ever since I can remember.

DSCF1414-1.jpg

Any thoughts?

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I don't have experience with outdoor torts so I'm curious what the others will have to say, but my first thought is she might like some shrubs or similar to hide in to get more comfortable with the space, moving from hide to hide. She might be sticking to that wall because it feels safe to her. I assume her indoor enclosure is much smaller and she moves around that with ease? When she gets placed into the enclosure many times the size of her home, it might be a little overwhelming. Seems like she is acting more like a hatchling than a large tort! I love the photos. Thanks so much for sharing.

movealongmosey

5 Year Member
Cincinnati Ohio
Whenever my tort wanders he goes straight to the darkest corner he can find. Though he's still very young I think defense is his main concern. In my opinion esmerelda looks content, and I think it's great that you have such a good bond with her. I hope for a bond like that with my tort.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Maybe they're all the same. Pio, my cherry Head, will come out of his hide, and walk on one side of the stream all the way to the end of the enclosure then he will sit under the hosta's, and after he eats, drinks and sits in the pond, he will walk on the same side all the way up the the hide again. He made a path now because he eats all the pansies as he walks back to the hide. Yours is lucky to have all that space, and she is really beautiful.

Yourlocalpoet

5 Year Member
tortoisenerd said:
I don't have experience with outdoor torts so I'm curious what the others will have to say, but my first thought is she might like some shrubs or similar to hide in to get more comfortable with the space, moving from hide to hide. She might be sticking to that wall because it feels safe to her. I assume her indoor enclosure is much smaller and she moves around that with ease? When she gets placed into the enclosure many times the size of her home, it might be a little overwhelming. Seems like she is acting more like a hatchling than a large tort! I love the photos. Thanks so much for sharing.

Well this is what I thought but she's had this same space for 7 years! She is very outgoing for a Leopard, she isn't timid and will walk right over to anyone near her and barge right past anything in her way so I don't think she's insecure. Usually the length of the fence is overgrown with tall grass which she chills out under occasionally, and any other hide she's had out there she's always ignored.
Her indoor enclosure is 9ft x 6ft.

terryo said:
Maybe they're all the same. Pio, my cherry Head, will come out of his hide, and walk on one side of the stream all the way to the end of the enclosure then he will sit under the hosta's, and after he eats, drinks and sits in the pond, he will walk on the same side all the way up the the hide again. He made a path now because he eats all the pansies as he walks back to the hide. Yours is lucky to have all that space, and she is really beautiful.

Thanks Terry.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
I have three leopards in my backyard and all three have different areas they like to stay in. My largest is about the same size as yours and she also stays in one general area where she walks around and eats the grass there only. She hardly eats in the rest of my lawn, but has eaten the grass to the ground in her area. I think it is some type of territorial thing they do, maybe because they feel more comfortable in that area.

Esmerelda looks fantastic for her size! :)

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
My leopards are the same way, they hide in the same spot every day, graze in the same spot, walk the same routes...maybe that's what they do in the wild I don't know. But it seems like she has a great place to hang out so I wouldn't worry at all. And, as everyone else has said, she looks PERFECT!! I'm quite jealous, do you have a male? or know anyone with a male leopard? She would make some pretty offspring I would think.

Yourlocalpoet

5 Year Member
Neal Butler said:
My leopards are the same way, they hide in the same spot every day, graze in the same spot, walk the same routes...maybe that's what they do in the wild I don't know. But it seems like she has a great place to hang out so I wouldn't worry at all. And, as everyone else has said, she looks PERFECT!! I'm quite jealous, do you have a male? or know anyone with a male leopard? She would make some pretty offspring I would think.

Perfect you say, well people do say their pets resemble their owners... :p
No I don't have a male and don't know anyone locally who has a leopard. Maybe in a few years time when I'm properly settled down and have the space I'd like to keep more tortoises, so maybe she'll be a yummy mummy one day.

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
She's gorgeous! And that shell can't get any smoother for a Leopard. I wouldn't fuss. Whatever you n Esmerelda are doing is surely working. I also think it's great that she's not the typical shy and reserved Leopard and is so outgoing and friendly. She really is a looker!

Yourlocalpoet

5 Year Member
harris said:
She's gorgeous! And that shell can't get any smoother for a Leopard. I wouldn't fuss. Whatever you n Esmerelda are doing is surely working. I also think it's great that she's not the typical shy and reserved Leopard and is so outgoing and friendly. She really is a looker!

I have my suspicions that she's a counterfeit leopard, I've never uttered the words shy, retiring or reserved when she is in question!

Tom said:
Pretty rocks...

Tom?

flone

5 Year Member
Beautiful tortoise. Maybe that's her habit. She is accustomed to walk on the same route.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yourlocalpoet said:
harris said:

I have my suspicions that she's a counterfeit leopard, I've never uttered the words shy, retiring or reserved when she is in question!

Tom said:
Pretty rocks...

Tom?

That's a nick name for Leos. Pretty rocks:D. A lot of people who have Leos also have sulcatas and they refer to their Leos as pretty rocks, since the Leos are pretty sedentary and reclusive, IN COMPARISON. If you had a sulcata of that age back there your garden would be eaten and trampled to bare dirt by now.:p

Yourlocalpoet

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Yourlocalpoet said:
harris said:

Tom said:
Pretty rocks...

Tom?

That's a nick name for Leos. Pretty rocks:D. A lot of people who have Leos also have sulcatas and they refer to their Leos as pretty rocks, since the Leos are pretty sedentary and reclusive, IN COMPARISON. If you had a sulcata of that age back there your garden would be eaten and trampled to bare dirt by now.:p

Oh I see, pretty rocks, I'll have to remember that one. Maybe I should swap her for a Sulcata then so I wouldn't have to cut the grass as much! Any takers? ;)

terrypin

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Jersey C.I.
hi i have several leopards and they do tend to end up in the same area most evenings .i do find when the weather is good they tend to use the whole enclosure.i must say she is a real looker and my boys would take to her fairly quickly.pretty rocks indeed.
terry

Status
Not open for further replies.