Is Sand An Ok Substrate?

VegasJeff

Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
I'm new to this whole Tortoise thing. I have a hatchling Desert Tortoise. Do you think using Sand for the substrate would be ok? I'm trying to design a low budget outdoor cage that is dog, cat, and bird proof so he gets proper UV light.

xMario

Germany
I'm new to this whole Tortoise thing. I have a hatchling Desert Tortoise. Do you think using Sand for the substrate would be ok? I'm trying to design a low budget outdoor cage that is dog, cat, and bird proof so he gets proper UV light.

Don't use sand. It can cause impaction and eye irritations.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Absolutely not. Sand is a likely death sentence.

Most of the info you find for this species will be old, out-dated and plain wrong. Very few babies of this species survive because people find and follow this advice. Babies need hydration, daily soaks, damp substrate, moderate humidity, a humid hide, and they need to be indoors in a safe, stable enclosure most of each day. My general rule-of-thumb is an hour of outside time per inch of tortoise, followed by a soak on the way in.

Care for DTs is similar to Russians. Primary difference being that DTs eat some grass and I think spineless opuntia should be a larger component of the diet for them. These should help:

Your questions and conversation are welcome.