Is Red Sorrel Okay For Tortoises?

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ocala, Fl
There are so many red sorrel plants around here in Fl during the spring time. I have never fed it to the tortoises as I've heard it is very high in oxalates. Then, recently, I've seen on some websites to feed it in moderation.

Is it better to just leave it out of the diet because of the amount of oxalic acid, or would it be a good addition to the diet in moderation. I'm wondering if it really would have a benefit if I added it to the other weeds I give them, not really sure. Thanks for any replies.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
I personally don’t worry about oxalates when a tortoise is eating a varied diet but I wouldn’t go out of my way to include it.

My Russian has never touched any that’s growing outside, for what that’s worth. She’s not picky, either.

Sa Ga

MN
I personally don’t worry about oxalates when a tortoise is eating a varied diet but I wouldn’t go out of my way to include it.

My Russian has never touched any that’s growing outside, for what that’s worth. She’s not picky, either.
Mine doesn't like wild grown food either. She pooh-poohs dandelions, hibiscus, grasses, roses, daisies, and clover. I took her out the other day, and she traipsed right over the dandelion and clover to try and eat a piece of cypress mulch. ?

Silly girl won't feed herself, refuses plants she should eat, but runs right for the mulch! (I want to use Reptibark (orchid bark) or cypress mulch in her enclosure, but clearly she will try to eat it.) ?

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl

My male will not eat outdoor stuff except a few certain weeds but my females will eat every weed they have access to lol

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
Mine doesn't like wild grown food either. She pooh-poohs dandelions, hibiscus, grasses, roses, daisies, and clover. I took her out the other day, and she traipsed right over the dandelion and clover to try and eat a piece of cypress mulch. ?

Silly girl won't feed herself, refuses plants she should eat, but runs right for the mulch! (I want to use Reptibark (orchid bark) or cypress mulch in her enclosure, but clearly she will try to eat it.) ?
Hahaha that’s the first time I’ve heard of a tortoise that would rather have mulch than plants??But yeah my male rejects many outdoor weeds, my females eat just about anything though haha

Sa Ga

MN
Hahaha that’s the first time I’ve heard of a tortoise that would rather have mulch than plants??But yeah my male rejects many outdoor weeds, my females eat just about anything though haha

If she weren't so stinking adorable.... ?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't feed it on purpose, but likewise, I don't dig it up out of the enclosures.