Is pneumonia fatal for Sulcatas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clementine

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern, USA
I took Igloo to the Vet yesterday and she thinks Igloo has an upper respiratory infection. He was given a Baytril injection (the husbandry issues are already in place) and she suggested bringing him back for a second injection next week.
After bringing him home, he didn't come out of his shell for hours. When he did, he was extremely fearful. He now seems terrified of me. He hasn't eaten in over 18 hours. I called the Vet and she said this was normal and to do an extra soak with reptisafe electrolite solution. Since we are headed into the weekend and I wont have access to a Vet, what should be my main area of concern or focus? Should I not worry as much about eating if he's well hydrated? Should I worry more about food? I am trying to tempt him with color and variety (I figure during this moment - any food is better than no food as long as its a vegetable). His temps are bumped a few degrees to 115 and 90 (Vet said 90 for now). When I soak him, he is putting his face in the water quite a bit - do I need to be concerned that he may inhale water? The electrolite solution I bought is extremely diluted - I was wondering if a mix of water and unflavored pedialite might be a better soak? Has anyone tried this? I've seen quite a few internet threads about pneumonia being fatal in Sulcatas - Vet said he wasn't too bad since the fluid from his nose was still clear and she didn't hear a lot (but there was some) fluid in his lungs. Am I fighting a losing battle?
He's 16 months and on the plus side, the Vet said his shell was stunning and we were doing a great job with him.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I understand your concern. But, the first thing you should do is make sure he's warm and hydrated. Temps should be no lower than 85-90 degrees overall. Since he has that URI, you want to make sure of those soaks the doctor ordered for him. You can even try baby food soaks or add the pedialite. Don't worry about his head going in the water. He's actually drinking water. You want this. His hot spot could be 105 degrees or even 110. Put new fresh food before him everyday, even if he doesn't eat it. Try not to handle him too much because he's frightened and sick. But, keep a close eye on him. Yes, pneumonia can be fatal but like your vet said, he's over a year old now and not so fragile. Get on the forum if your baby is expelling bubbles out of his mouth or nose, or if he's gasping for air. Aside from that, I'll be praying for you and his recovery. He can recover , okay?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I wouldn't worry about the electrolyte solutions. Just water. Yes they can recover form these, especially when caught early.

Baytril injections HURT. Don't worry about the food thing, they can go weeks without eating. Just put out the normal foods for him.

For learning purposes, how did Igloo get sick in the first place? Were your night temps dipping too low?

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Sounds like you went to a vet who has experience with torts...baytril injections hurt...yes your tort is goingg to be very thirsty. Vet gave good advise on temps also. I would do 2-3 soaks a day. Just make sure you give warmth and hydration and Igloo should be fine in no time...just make sure your temps never get below 80 with your humidity. Thats usually how these things start...good luck...

Clementine

5 Year Member
Southern, USA
Thank you guys! Yes Tom, we had a power outage overnight (about 13 hours) unknown to us, and I believe that would be the issue. It actually was a breaker that tripped from the lamps, humidifiers and heater all running at once (old house!) - since the rest of the home had power, we had no idea he was getting chilly. I sincerely appreciate the words of wisdom! It is so scary to have the responsibility of a sicky animal in your care, making sure we are doing everything within our power to help him heal. I've been up every night at 2am and 4am checking on him and I'm exhausted. Yes, she seems to be a very good Vet who only cares for exotics - but considering my limited knowledge on the subject of reptiles, I don't think I'm qualified to judge! I will say, she had an excellent rapport with Igloo, and said she worked with many giant sulcatas in Florida. She also had this awesome system for her iPad called a Firefly - a scope that projected a magnified image of Igloos eyes, nose, mouth - anything she pointed it at - onscreen for examination. Seeing his eyes magnified that large was amazing!

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
I personally would do the electrolyte solutions soak. When having to use baytril it's important for the animal to be well hydrated or you risk damage to the liver. That's the first thing my vet checked when I had to have one of my snakes on these injections. And it does hurt, when I would give my boa the injections he was fine with the needle, but the minute I pressed the syringe to inject the meds he would jerk away.

Clementine

5 Year Member
Southern, USA
I'm doing the electrolyte soak mixed with babyfood figuring a little of both might be tasty! He took a few big gulps last night and again this morning after which he quickly returned back to his hide. He is finally beginning to forgive me for the last injection - I hate to have to take him for another on Friday...he is REALLY going to hate me then.

skottip

10 Year Member!
Florida
Personally, Fortaz is much less painful for the animal treated. I have had great sucess with it in the past. Baytril is also taxing on the liver.I have had tortoises treated with Fortaz in the past with 100% sucess rate.The best thing you can do in the meantime, is keep it warm. I would keep a constant heat source(top heat) on 24/7 and also keep it in something small so he/she can't wander away from the heat. Keep it well hydrated as other suggested too. In the past, if I see a sniffle start, I give it a good dose of heat and usually no meds are needed.
Good luck!
Keep us posted.
Scott

Clementine

5 Year Member
Southern, USA
Thank you - I'll ask about Fortaz when I take him on Friday. I have a CHE on 24/7 right now and a humidifier running full blast as well. He still isn't leaving the hide yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.