Is my tortoise's shell deformed? Detailed info + pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

reptire

5 Year Member
Took him out to the sun for an hour and a half today. During this time, he bit plants only 3 times and I doubt anything actually got into his mouth.
He didn't eat yesterday, which I assumed was due to stress because of the travel and injections. Now, I gave him his favourite, grinded fresh cucumber, but he won't eat it.
I don't know what's the problem.

Edit: Put him to his feeding place (inside the vivarium) the third time and held the food less than a mm before his head. This made him bite and now he is eating hastily. Before that, he just casually walked past his food. Several times. Is there something wrong with him mental capability-wise? This is not the first time something like this happened. Often he begins to eat, walks away and forgets there is food in a millisecond. He won't return unless I pick him up and put him down near his food again.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Republic O' Tejas
reptire said:
Plus, I asked about what to do at winter time. Little or none fresh greens and sunlight then and I can't take him outside obviously.

Collect various weeds now and dry them for winter use...dried weeds, soaked, is a good winter feed item, along w/ green vegetables. And chopped cactus has a lot of calcium, which he needs BADLY, along with sunshine.

About 3 1-gallon Zip-locks per adult tortoise, so 1'll be plenty for a youngster.

Tom's suggestion about a kiddie pool is excellent.

kjr153

5 Year Member
Be careful at parks. A lot of parks spray the grass with fertilizers.

lkwagner

5 Year Member
Didn't read most of the posts but have you ever considered a baby swimming pool enclosure on your balcony?

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Here's what you can do now in preparation for next winter. Buy or get some seeds for dandelion, clovers, and other greens that you can't get in the winter. Grow them and keep them alive during the winter months. You'll be able to provide weeds and greens to your tort all year long. Why wait until your tort gets bigger to get him a larger enclosure? Get him into a bigger enclosure now. This way, you can provide the space for a saucer to put water in for your tort. One of the reasons why I believe your tort is not showing improvement is a lack of humidity and drinking water. Every living, breathing thing needs water to survive. If you provide home grown greens, warmth, humidity, water, exercise and proper lighting, your tort will show improvements.

If you feel that you can't provide the much needed care for this poor tort, could you find someone who can provide the time and resources to give your tort the specialized care he needs? I have a tort in the same condition, and I have to hand feed him because he can't reach his food by bending his neck down. If the tort finds it difficult to eat, he'll eventually lose interest and he'll starve slowly. You're going to need a lot of patience with this one.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
do you have a grocery store that sells salad greens?

Sunshine is best... and a Must..
You don't use the UV light? if he isn't outside, you have to..
you can get liquid calcium too.. and liquid bird vitamins to put in his water soaks...

Status
Not open for further replies.