Is my tortoise's beak too long?

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New England
How can I tell if my tortoise's beak is too long? He doesn't have any trouble eating, but it hangs over his bottom jaw. I've posted a picture; what do you think?

002.JPG

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Yes his beak needs to be trimmed . You can take him to a vet and have it trimmed or you can feed on a stone that will trim it over time . If it was my tortoise I would do it myself or take it to vet.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree, too long. Start feeding in the flat stone or tile, slate, etc and you can try filing it down, but if you have never done it, you might want to take him to the vets. I do believe we have a thread explaining how to do it, just do a search. If I remember correctly, @Yvonne G did the thread.

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
New England
Thank you for replying.

I feed him on a rock, but his beak never hits it. I also once tried to file his beak, but he pulled his head in so I couldn't get to it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
There is a way to hold his head so he can't pull it in. It in the thread I talked about. I'm hoping Yvonne will have it. I'm not sure if it's a stickie or not.
I try to feed the food not in a pile, spread it out on the rock, so it's like a single layer. They almost have to tough the rock them. I have a leopard that I too am getting a little worried about her beak. I have been rehabbing her from a CL owner and I am still fighting the beak. It hasn't gotten longer, but not shorter either. So I started putting her food in a single layer. Also hoping all her grazing will help too.

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
New England
I'm going to try to file his beak with an emery board every day. Thanks for the help.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Take his favorite food and cut it up into as small a pieces as you can and then put it on a flat piece of slate or other rock. As he eats the small pieces he should scrape his beak.

Good luck.

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
New England
I have tried that. Unfortunately, he seems to eat carefully enough that I haven't seen him scrape his beak on the rock. He was a rescued tortoise. I've
had him for almost two months.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
My vet uses a handheld dremmel tool. It's worth it to get it all done at once.

Nail files meant for acrylic nails are good, but you'd spend forever on the process. That entire hooked overhang on the beak, the part that looks birdlike, that's all overgrown.

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
New England
If I don't see a difference after using the emery board for a while, I'll try getting a dremmel.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Watch out with the dremmel tool. It heats up & can heat the beak. That would hurt. You'd have to do it in multiple passes, not hold it on for any length of time.

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
New England
The emery board seems to be working, but if I try the dremmel I'll keep that in mind. Thanks!