Is my tortoise showing affection?

Oreologist

Location (City and/or State)
Gothenburg
I was handling him today and put him on my table and my hand was on it too, he had multiple options to go and rest under but he choose my hand, is it a sign of affection?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hi and welcome,
I think it's unlikely it was affection as we know it - he may have liked the heat from you hand or been waiting for food. The only time my tort approaches me is when I feed him or to try to push me out of his space. :(
Don't take your eyes off him on table or any high surfaces because they can be over the edge quick as a flash.
What species and age is he?
If you post pics of your enclosure and lamps etc you'll get good advice to make it as safe as possible for him.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
I was handling him today and put him on my table and my hand was on it too, he had multiple options to go and rest under but he choose my hand, is it a sign of affection?
We have a 21year old Hermanns tortoise, and from the time he was a baby, we have held him and stroked him a lot - he really seems to enjoy our company, and chooses to be with us. A few minutes ago I went into his conservatory to top up his food - he came running out of his hide - and ignoring the food, came up to my feet - I sat down, and he started playing with my shoes and stroking them in a friendly way. I picked him up, and he relaxed in my lap -he just seems to like being with us. I had to go away before he would go over to his food. I would call that affection.
Angie