Is my Tortoise healthy

TortoiseCommunity

Location (City and/or State)
London
https://photos.app.goo.gl/kPMf9ieZP5cZ2JWJ7

Hi, I'm very new to tortoises, could anyone tell me if my tortoise is showing any signs of health problems?

He's under a year old, his shell is growing pretty smoothly, he's active, eats well, has hard shell, he's responsive to movement so must have good eye sight, but the colour of his shell doesn't look right :(

I've been doing a lot of research and trying to find a good representation of what a healthy tortoise should look like but none of them seem to look like mine...I'm worried he's not looking how he should be, also, am I right in believing this is a Sulcata? African Spur Thighed? If not can anyone identify what species he is?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Your pictures are too far away. Could you take closer ones and post them here?

That does not look like a Sulcata. Where did you get it? How old is it? Are you sure it’s not just a spur thigh(Greek) and not an African spur thigh(Sulcata)?

Why is it on the floor?

Could we see pictures of your enclosure?

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
It is not a sulcata. Looks Greek but I’m not too familiar with that species. What is his enclosure like? A suitable enclosure and good diet are the best ways to keep them healthy and thriving. What are you feeding him? Can’t really tell of his health from the videos.

TortoiseCommunity

London
I haven't been able to provide him with what he needs because the uvb uva bulb keeps breaking so I put him in the sun for a while and soak him daily in warm water. When I first got him I was told they got it from Saudi Arabia and they're easy to look after, just need to feed greens, bath occasionally and provide heat/lighting. He looked like a sulcata hatchling...I've had him for a few months but now he looks like a different species...his appearance changed a lot from when I first got him and that's what's worrying me.

I was feeding him any greens I had, mostly peas and broccoli (which I know now is not good and am changing that). I pick flowers/grass for him then mix in some Komodo Salad Mix to supplement which is high in Fibre, has added Calcium and Vitamin D3.

I only just got a job so I will be able to buy him what he needs but I need to know what species he is. I'm hoping he'll be okay with this routine for a few weeks until I can order him a suitable set up for his requirements.

The enclosure I was provided with is not great at all (quite boring) that's why I thought I should let him roam about in my bedroom for exercise (I constantly checked on him when I was leaving him out)...when I put him in his enclosure he just sleeps or tries to escape it. But thanks for the advice I'll keep him in his enclosure from now on.

TortoiseCommunity

London
U4q4Wmcd329mgZvq9

Here's a clearer pic of him and his enclosure

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas

TortoiseCommunity

London

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
I cannot view any photos in this thread to give a proper ID.

TortoiseCommunity

London
Would this make a good change for him - replace current enclosure with Zoo Med Tortoise House, feed him ProRep Tortoise Food supplement along with a variety of other dark leafy greens, mostly grass (portion size of his body?), 100w Infrared Heat Emitter (on 24/7?), Zoo Med 10.0 UVB bulb (on day time only?), add a hide, and what substrate would be best for this species?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Would this make a good change for him - replace current enclosure with Zoo Med Tortoise House, feed him ProRep Tortoise Food supplement along with a variety of other dark leafy greens, mostly grass (portion size of his body?), 100w Infrared Heat Emitter (on 24/7?), Zoo Med 10.0 UVB bulb (on day time only?), add a hide, and what substrate would be best for this species?

Definitely don’t get the tortoise house. They mold with humidity. Instead, I would start making an 8x4 table.

Peat moss and coco coir work well for babies.

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
He needs a large indoor enclosure, 8x4ft is a great start. If you are taking him outside every day, you don’t need a UVB bulb or D3 in his calcium. Just make sure he is getting sunshine. Do you have an outside secure area for him? Tortoises can disappear in a flash. Make sure he has lots of shade to get away from the hot sun.