Is my tortoise enclosure big enough? - I've seen a tonne of conflicting information

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California

kaycov

5 Year Member
Lexington
I have two redfoots, they each have a 5'x5' indoor enclosure and an 8'x10' outdoor pen when the weather permits. The enclosures I have are dog swimming pools. They are not expensive, easy to assemble (just unfold), and the bottoms of the pools are water proof and protect the flooring. The sides are high and slick enough to discourage climbing, and they can't see out. Right now they have four 24-quart bags of cypress mulch in each pen. They can dig and bury - the smaller one likes to bury herself. They each have a heat light, UVB light and hides. They are each soaked every, single night before feeding. It was not expensive to house them this way. This spring I'm going to build out the outdoor pen, making it at least twice the size it is now - plan 20' x 20'. I have a small "pond" in that now.

Last edited by a moderator:

turbo20

Wisconsin
What about Animal Plastic T70? I also know they would custom make one that is 4ft wide.

I have 3 of their terrestrial cages and I love them.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I have two redfoots, they each have a 5'x5' indoor enclosure and an 8'x10' outdoor pen when the weather permits. The enclosures I have are dog swimming pools. They are not expensive, easy to assemble (just unfold), and the bottoms of the pools are water proof and protect the flooring. The sides are high and slick enough to discourage climbing, and they can't see out. Right now they have four 24-quart bags of cypress mulch in each pen. They can dig and bury - the smaller one likes to bury herself. They each have a heat light, UVB light and hides. They are each soaked every, single night before feeding. It was not expensive to house them this way. This spring I'm going to build out the outdoor pen, making it at least twice the size it is now - plan 20' x 20'. I have a small "pond" in that now.
Got pictures? It sounds great

TheWaveCarver

New York
Here's a guide I wrote up for the greenhouse method. My tortoise is only about 6 to 7 inches long at this point. I plan on adapting the idea for a larger greenhouse once he gets a bit bigger. So far the setup has been working great for me for 6 months now with no issues. Humidity stays in 80% range and temps are easy to control with a thermostat.

Link to thread: https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/cherryhead-tortoise-indoor-greenhouse.184548/

In one of the pictures you'll see a wheel. I was unable to get my tortoise to use the wheel so that has been removed to make for more space.

Attachments

• 20210116_130335.jpg
    20210116_130335.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 23
  • 20210115_160122.jpg
    20210115_160122.jpg
    923.7 KB · Views: 24
Last edited: