Is my tortoise dead?:s

Status
Not open for further replies.

megmoo

5 Year Member
So I check on my tortoise every two days, give him clean water fresh food so it's there if he wants it, and because my heat lamp broke the other week I haven't had chance to replace it as I'm moving in two days - I do keep the uv light on all day though-. But today when I checked on him he was the same temp he usually is and it looked like the was sleeping, but this time I noticed it didn't sound or feel like he was breathing an his eye sockets were really deep and when I touched him he didn't move, tried bathing him in some warm water two or three times and still nothing. I'm really hoping he is hibernating, he is about three years old and is a hermann if it helps :(
I've currently got him next to my bed in a box of saw dust and newspaper with a hot water bottle underneath, it is also well ventilated.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
:( Really sunken in eye sockets? No movement at all when you soaked him? It is not sounding good at all. :( Had he been eating the last few days even?

megmoo

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
:( Really sunken in eye sockets? No movement at all when you soaked him? It is not sounding good at all. :( Had he been eating the last few days even?

Yeah :( and yeah when I fed him the other day he was eating and moving about like he would usually :(

Irish

5 Year Member
Orlando Florida
I hope he is ok! If he is that out of it, he needs a heat lamp. What is the temp in his cage currently?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm sorry to say, but I'm pretty sure your tortoise is dead. I don't mean to rag on you, when you've been trying to get ready to move, but tortoises in an indoor habitat need to be checked on every day, not every couple of days. It's different if they're outside where they can find their own food and shelter, and thermoregulate as needed, but indoors, they depend upon you for what they need.

I'm so sorry that your tortoise died. It's hard to have to go through that.

rayneygirl

5 Year Member
SoCal
I'm sorry to say he might have passed, I don't know much about hermann's though. Wishing you the best.

megmoo

5 Year Member
Yvonne G said:
I'm sorry to say, but I'm pretty sure your tortoise is dead. I don't mean to rag on you, when you've been trying to get ready to move, but tortoises in an indoor habitat need to be checked on every day, not every couple of days. It's different if they're outside where they can find their own food and shelter, and thermoregulate as needed, but indoors, they depend upon you for what they need.

I'm so sorry that your tortoise died. It's hard to have to go through that.

I Have only been checking on him every couple of day because f the move and that was for only 3 weeks tops.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
I am so sorry you lost him. Little tortoises can be so fragile. They are very sensitive to changes, too. Very sorry for your loss. : (

megmoo

5 Year Member
Got a reptile vet to come round just now. He is dead. :(

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Oh I am so sorry this happened!!!! I am so so sorry for your loss.

Hugs to you!!

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
Im with yvonne

Sent from my ZTE N9120 using TortForum mobile app

Sorry for ur lost, but when u have or decide to have an animal you have to be there for him everyday.

megmoo

5 Year Member
SANDRA_MEISSNEST said:
Im with yvonne

Sorry for ur lost, but when u have or decide to have an animal you have to be there for him everyday.

Excuse me but I can't help that I was moving, there wasn't anything I could of done for Michael even if I did tend to him every single day, even the vet said I could not have done anything because he showed no signs of illness and it was so sudden!.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Maybe Michael had something wrong with him but even so, if he was in distress, you should have been there for him. I will let everything I own burn to the ground if I have to protect one of my little ones. You have to understand and remember, you choose him, he didn't choose you. Sorry for your loss. You seem to have cared a great deal for your little guy. If you get another one, please try and watch out for him and if you have to move, find a sitter!

ictteacher

5 Year Member
I think your being a little unfair to megmoo. He came to this forum to find out why his tortoise past away, not to be told he was a bad parent. Give him a break he lost his tortoise not you!!!

jennie60

5 Year Member
I'm so sorry for your loss. Don't blame yourself sounds like there was no obv signs and very sudden end. :-( xxx

Status
Not open for further replies.