Is my tortoise dead ? Please please help me ? I'm begging please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassierose5683

I don't needed attention I needed some to inform me about him

Just from what I've found online for you it might have been cause you were taking him out of the water at night some aquatic turtles depending on species sleep in the water coming up for air when needed and going back to sleep or they bury themselves in mud or sand underwater some do sleep half in half out. But I haven't owned an aquatic turtle myself so someone who has would probably be more help to figure out how/why he died.

Edizzle888

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas
This is weird. Yeah looks dead, dry, and stiff in that pic. But you have the best view of all. Doesn’t this turtle belong in the water 24-7? Your pic is blurry but looks like a soft shell turtle. IDK how you got your Info.

Aloysius Taschse

Mainly Texas
My god this conversation has erupted. 6 pages in 2 days? Wow! Anyways, you have an aquatic turtle and hopefully you cared for it right. Talk to other owners. Just mourning about it won't help. Trust me, I know. Learn from your mistakes and do your best next time. If everyone is positive and patient with each other we might be able to find out what happened and how to prevent it from happening again. I'm very sorry for your loss and hopefully you had some good times together.

If you do want help, please post pictures of the enclosure and aquatic turtle experts can help you out. Again, I'm very sorry for your loss. My sulcata tortoise Kiwi died a few weeks ago and I still think about her every day. ?
Here are the steps we want to follow if we want to prevent this incident from reoccuring:

1. Identify the animal
2. Look at enclosure and diet
3. Identify the problem
4. Get better information

Hopefully this helps. One more time: I'm very sorry for your loss.

Donna Albu

5 Year Member
Peoria, Maricopa County, AZ
Looks like a red eared slider - definitely a turtle, definitely needs water to soak and swim in. Get it turtle pellets, dried shrimp, etc. By the way, they hibernate. Prior to hibernating, they stop eating for a while. He may be still alive. Put him in a tank of water, keep the water fresh and clean, and leave him there. Arrange the tank so that he can climb out of the water when he wakes up, and can bask in the sun. Search on the forum for the care sheets on red eared sliders, and follow them carefully. By giving him dry tortoise food, he may have ended up bound up. Good luck, but do not bury him yet. He will probably sleep until the weather warms up.

HappyBlueberry

MN
In morning I woke up and saw my tortoise with head out of shell eyes shrunken and legs in lock position and they were rigid and when I picked it up there was water like substance beneath him and was very light please let me know if my is dead please tell soo.
If the legs don’t retract when you poke it then it is unfortunate but your tortoise is in heaven.

Nnnn

Indian Delhi
Just from what I've found online for you it might have been cause you were taking him out of the water at night some aquatic turtles depending on species sleep in the water coming up for air when needed and going back to sleep or they bury themselves in mud or sand underwater some do sleep half in half out. But I haven't owned an aquatic turtle myself so someone who has would probably be more help to figure out how/why he died.
Looks like a red eared slider - definitely a turtle, definitely needs water to soak and swim in. Get it turtle pellets, dried shrimp, etc. By the way, they hibernate. Prior to hibernating, they stop eating for a while. He may be still alive. Put him in a tank of water, keep the water fresh and clean, and leave him there. Arrange the tank so that he can climb out of the water when he wakes up, and can bask in the sun. Search on the forum for the care sheets on red eared sliders, and follow them carefully. By giving him dry tortoise food, he may have ended up bound up. Good luck, but do not bury him yet. He will probably sleep until the weather warms up.
Sry dude he was dead as there was a rotting smell coming from him

Nnnn

Indian Delhi
My god this conversation has erupted. 6 pages in 2 days? Wow! Anyways, you have an aquatic turtle and hopefully you cared for it right. Talk to other owners. Just mourning about it won't help. Trust me, I know. Learn from your mistakes and do your best next time. If everyone is positive and patient with each other we might be able to find out what happened and how to prevent it from happening again. I'm very sorry for your loss and hopefully you had some good times together.

If you do want help, please post pictures of the enclosure and aquatic turtle experts can help you out. Again, I'm very sorry for your loss. My sulcata tortoise Kiwi died a few weeks ago and I still think about her every day. ?
Here are the steps we want to follow if we want to prevent this incident from reoccuring:

1. Identify the animal
2. Look at enclosure and diet
3. Identify the problem
4. Get better information

Hopefully this helps. One more time: I'm very sorry for your loss.
Thanks for the suggestion

Nnnn

Indian Delhi
This is weird. Yeah looks dead, dry, and stiff in that pic. But you have the best view of all. Doesn’t this turtle belong in the water 24-7? Your pic is blurry but looks like a soft shell turtle. IDK how you got your Info.
I took him out of water during nights

Nnnn

Indian Delhi
Bad very bad by me I shouldn't have taken him out at nights

Godfrey

Bedfordshire
I can’t believe it if you have a turtle and think you have a tortoise, where did you get it? What research did you do before you got it?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's time for all of you to let it go. It's very sad that the turtle died and Nnnn is heartbroken to have lost the turtle.

I can't believe so many brand new members are jumping on this member. That's not the way we do things here. Ever hear of "be kind"?

EVERYONE: DROP IT!

brandocalrissian

AZ
Hey I made the perfect place for for his living I spent my whole day playing with him there wasn't even a hour in which I didn't looked at him I gave him lettuce, peas, turtle food, caterpillar but he was not eating anything even tho I gave him food every day and tried to feed him with my hand . He used to stay in clean water for day and at night I took him our and placed him in a box . Changed his water every 2/3 hours kept him in sunlight and whan it was cold at night I covered is body with a warm clothes (his head was out ) it was just one day I didn't looked at him and ???
How much water was there in his outdoor enclosure? Do you have a picture of where he would go when he was outside? Sorry for your loss.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Where I lacked when I went on a trip I even didn't left him home I took him with me i even paid a hotel worker to look out for him in every hour while I was out
Yes, your turtle sounds deceased. I am sorry for the comments from some posters blaming it's death on you.
They are newcomers on TFO and evidently think they are on FB with their insults. I also think they evidently have not ever had a turtle die. It's very painful, and having you newbies attack him does not help at all. He does not need to hear that now, and condolences are what's needed now. Education on chelonia care comes later it certainly isn't any help now

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Listen. I’m not going to participate in your little debate about whether or not your pet suffered. You didn’t give it the environment nor the food it needed. It was likely dehydrated and died due to insufficient care. That in itself is neglect. You have nobody to blame but yourself.
Stop NOW. You are too new and uneducated to make assumptions like that. You newcomers are WAY outa line. TFO is not about blame. It's about education, this is not FB, we do not accept such attacks here. This is seriously out of line.

Last edited:

Sue Ann

chapin , South Carolina
Your age is not an excuse. Going on google for 5 minutes is not enough time to figure out how to take care of a living being. This death could have been avoided had you just spent more time researching and figuring out how to properly care for your turtle. I'm sorry for your loss, but it was absolutely due to improper husbandry. Please, before you get any kind of animal in the future, make sure you take your time looking for updated care information and ask questions.
Not nice tortiella! We give help and advice here.

Status
Not open for further replies.