Is my tortoise bored?

Erenintx

Location (City and/or State)
Nm
So I just got my dude, Noodle, in December and I am afraid that he is bored. He has a lot of stuff to hide under. He likes to make burrows. He likes to eat. Sometimes I see him climbing over his hide. He shows no interest in the little pebbles and balls that I put in there but he sleeps a LOT. When I pick him up and touch his shell to soak him, he just hides from me sometimes. So, I don't want to have him out of his cage too much because I don't want to scare him.

I've honestly been thinking about rehoming him recently because I have been thinking that I am not the best parent for him. He is my first, and only, reptile. I know reptiles don't show boredom the way that mammals do, but he seems to sleep all day long. I also know that leopard torts are solitary. Am I over thinking this?

Any suggestions?

noodle.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hatchlings sleep a lot. They don't play with balls and stuff. They sleep eat maybe roam and sleep again and repeat maybe a couple times a day.
Give us more info like temps, all over, basking and night temps, humidity, diet, type of lighting and heating your using.
How often do you soak?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I can already tell is too dry, not enough humidity and it's not a closed chamber like it should be
Read the caresheets in the leopard section and make changes and answer the questions I asked.