Is my russian tortoise's plastron alright?

For-Mr.Spock

Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
20200228_121540.jpg
Hello! I got Mr. Spock, my Russian tortoise from a pet store (I know, never do that, but it was love at first sight) January 10th. Today, I was checking him over after a soak and saw that his plastron was different than expected. Please note that his carapace has battle scars on it - it is believed he is wild caught and then was contained with other Russian tortoises until the time came that he was at the pet store - so I am hopeful that these are also just scars. I know tortoises take a long time to heal.
For reference, a recent image of his carapace is also attached. He is likely between 2 and 4 years old given that his shell is 5 inches in length.20200220_184049.jpg

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Those dents, looks like some old scars to me in my very unprofessional eyes. ;)

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
Actually looking really good! Old healed dings, and new growth. Nice looking smooth shell for a pet store rescue of that age really. But I have rescued pet store tortoise before growing up. Probably wild caught.

For-Mr.Spock

Pennsylvania
Nothing looks concerning on the shell, don't worry, Also, that looks like a female :)
Do you think so? I go back and forth because his tail is short, but he does have what appear to be spurs on the end.

It would be hilarious if he was a she because I thought he was a girl when I first got him and his original name was Alice.

For-Mr.Spock

Pennsylvania
Actually looking really good! Old healed dings, and new growth. Nice looking smooth shell for a pet store rescue of that age really. But I have rescued pet store tortoise before growing up. Probably wild caught.
I thought they were wild caught. I am relieved to hear that they are healing well! I made this post to check on their health, but now I am doubting that I know their gender. It has been a fun day!

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
Do you think so? I go back and forth because his tail is short, but he does have what appear to be spurs on the end.

It would be hilarious if he was a she because I thought he was a girl when I first got him and his original name was Alice.
Hahah when I got my first one, I was confused at first too, turns out she was female. But I then got a male after my first and once you see a male right next to them being compared, it is like night and day. Also the spurs don't mean anything regarding genders in russians. That is cool that you found a female at a pet store, 90% of the time it appears that they usually have males.

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
Also, with that amount of rings and at that size, she probably is around 10 years old. They grow around one ring/ line on the scutes each year. :D

For-Mr.Spock

Pennsylvania
Hahah when I got my first one, I was confused at first too, turns out she was female. But I then got a male after my first and once you see a male right next to them being compared, it is like night and day. Also the spurs don't mean anything regarding genders in russians. That is cool that you found a female at a pet store, 90% of the time it appears that they usually have males.
So, then, how do I know if they are a boy or girl? I thought I knew what I was looking for. I greatly appreciate the help!

For-Mr.Spock

Pennsylvania
I don't see anything concerning
After handling her last night, I took a new picture. The plastron is chipped in the picture. I know tortoises heal slowly, but she has been with me for almost two months now. Any injuries sustained by fighting with others should have at least closed by now, yes? I am worried. You appear to have been here a long time and seem like you have a great deal of experience.

Attachments

• 20200304_185247.jpg
    20200304_185247.jpg
    632.3 KB · Views: 6