Is my Russian Tortoise healthy?

Splak

Location (City and/or State)
OK
This is my 8ish year old Russian tortoise I have had him for about 5 years and I just want to know if he looks ok, Especially because there are some black dots on his shell. Thank you. F907428B-E152-45C6-95BA-5DD1D1CE33DF.jpegB939D84B-73CD-4BC3-9BFC-EBCA1A4AFA99.jpeg9DF315B6-0702-4356-AC04-A593AD9DC499.jpeg

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hello, and welcome to TFO!

I'm not great at evaluating torts, but to me he looks mostly good. He does look a bit dry...have you been soaking him regularly? That really helps with hydration.

The one thing that really stands out is his beak needs trimming. As it gets longer, it gets more difficult to eat. And worse, sometimes the whole beak will break off or split from bottom to top, which is painful for the tort and can be difficult to heal.

You can take him to an exotics vet for a beak trim, or you can do it yourself. You need someone to hold him for you, and you use a nail clipper a tiny nip at a time.

If you feed him on a concrete paver, or a piece of floor tile with the rough surface up, or a terra cotta saucer without glaze, or a piece of slate...any of those will help keep it from growing out again.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
His beak and probably claws need a trim suggest a visit to a vet or discuss with a local reptile shop. He has new growth rings and shell looks smooth . Please read attached care sheet to see if there are any additional things you can do for welfare. Diet, enclosure, hydration, heat and light etc....

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Beak does need a trim. Can't see nails so I won't assume they are long
He does look dry. Get some humidity in his enclosure and give a soak in warm water a couple times a week.